Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scaleform UI to be included with UDK! (UPDATED)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make calls to your UScript from ActionScript to have that play sound or videos as we are bound to Bink for videos. Audio and Video are not part of CLIK.. they promised just CLIK not the Video parts aso.

Comment

I asked them about video functionality and they declined to even answer, figured as much that they wouldn't include it because of Bink.. so we're stuck with watermarks

Comment

Maybe we can use animated GIF's instead?

EDIT: I don't understand why Bink logo has to BE there. Even Epic has their logo shown at startup only. I mean they can just make us show a startup logo and a credits logo if they want. Showing annoying watermark is just a nice way to kill immersion for the player (which means they will only come to hate the name BINK).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Polge View Post
          UDK developers who wish to use an interface based on the current UI system will no longer be able to upgrade to newer UDK builds.

Very bad news... Why not keep it for those who are not interested in Scaleform? I'm doing a visualization project and I require a simple user interface... Why should I (or anyone) be forced to learn Flash and Actionscript to do simple stuff? I find that a bit disappointing.

Comment

You don't want to say that the UIscene stuff is easier then CLIK do you?

Comment

Methinks I'm going to need to demystify this stuff in my next vid :P

Comment

I never said anything about UIScene being easier than CLIK. Forcing me to buy Flash and learn Actionscript isn't feasible at the moment. Let us have both old and new UI System available. What's so wrong about that?

Comment

Does anyone actually have access to ScaleForm? It doesn't seem modder friendly; you need to be in the industry to even get a trial.

Edit: Just read it's going to be included in a future UDK release. No mention of how much it will cost to license ScaleForm to be used in commercial UDK games.

Comment

I'm also voting for keeping the old UIScene - When I heard that Scaleform GFx will replace UIScene I was psyched but that was before realizing that this solution constrains the developer to using Flash. The UDK is free, but Flash isn't. What about licensing S. GFx? Does it come under the same license as the rest of the UDK?

We were also discussing the Bink watermark issue the other day, It's rather disappointing that no matter how much work has been done into having a smooth transition between real-time rendering and pre-rendered video, because of legal matters the Bink logo pops into the game environment and scrambles the immersion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks View Post
                      Does anyone actually have access to ScaleForm? It doesn't seem modder friendly; you need to be in the industry to even get a trial.

Edit: Just read it's going to be included in a future UDK release. No mention of how much it will cost to license ScaleForm to be used in commercial UDK games.
                      Why don't you try to read? It is already in UDK in it is free for free games and included in the commercial license.

Comment

It's already in the May release (out since Tuesday). Scaleform doesn't cost anything to use in a UDK game.

Comment

Scaleform is FREE for UDK users

Originally posted by Steve Polge View Post
                          http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...e-free-for-UDK
                          As mentioned in the press release, the Scaleform GFx UI system will be useable by UDK developers at no additional cost. That means it is free for non-commercial use, and included in the UDK commercial license terms for commercial use.
                          Just to clarify, UDK users do not pay any additional fees to use Scaleform for commercial or non-commercial projects. The Scaleform GFx license is included at ZERO cost for all UE3 and UDK based applications on all platforms supported by Epic.

The only additional cost is for Adobe Flash studio, which most professional or even semi-professional users should have as part of the Adobe Creative Suite, which also includes popular tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and Premier. Adobe offers discounted academic versions and there are many other discounted resellers online.

There are alternative less expensive Flash authoring tools, such as Sothink SWF Quicker at roughly $85:
                          http://www.sothink.com/product/swfquicker

However, Scaleform only provides official support for content produced by the Adobe Flash toolset. That's not to say tools like Sothink won't work, but they are not officially supported.

Hope this helps!

-- Brendan

Comment

Scaleform in UDK is the FULL version, just not Video

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                            It's already in the May release (out since Tuesday). Scaleform doesn't cost anything to use in a UDK game. But it's not the full version of it.
                            Ultimately, it's up to Epic to decide how much of Scaleform GFx SDK to include in UE3 Source and UDK, but it is the full version.

Scaleform GFx contains:
                            * GFx runtime Flash player with 3Di rendering (Flash 8 now, Flash 10 coming soon)
                            * CLIK Flash UI framework
                            * AMP profiler for performance and memory
                            * Game UI samples - HUD, menu, 3D inventory, loading screen...
                            * And many docs, videos, and other demos

UE3 Source and UDK also include the Scaleform IME add-on for Asian chat support, which has been used in a many high profile PC games
                            http://www.reddit.com/...starcraft_ii_uses_it

Our other product, Scaleform Video, is not included in the UE3/UDK bundle, but it is available as a separate add-on for UE3 Source licensees that want integrated Flash Video support. Many prominent game studios are now adopting Scaleform Video including teams such as Rocksteady Studios for Batman Arkham Asylum 2.

NOTE: Scaleform Video is not available to UDK users, since the UDK is a pre-built binary runtime.

UE3 Source licensees that are interested in Scaleform Video should contact Scaleform directly at: sales@scaleform.com.

-- Brendan

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up about the video stuff!

Comment

I don't get it XD.
                                When i click on "Scaleform CLIK.mxp" it doesn't install the extension, i have Flash CS3.

Comment

Working...
                                X