Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Would anyone show me lightmap solutions ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would anyone show me lightmap solutions ?

Hey guys, again and again, my problems with lightmap in udk prevails. I have watched numerous tutorials, narrated series, spent a lot of time on youtube...

I know that lightmaps are based on light angle, meaning one have to unwrap them by angle. I am using 3ds max 2015. I also do have second uv channel, not overlaping object, enough space between objects, but it simply doesnt work... Lightmap seems to be problem that goes with me for about 4 years of using udk now...

Now, heres my question, would anyone out there show me a way, possibly using skype, how they do lightmaps ?
    In return I could show a few tricks in moddeling (3ds max), or texturing...

But what is your problem?Do you have light map seams or bad shadows?Im a maya user but here i go.
    When im finished with the model in maya my first uv channel is for the uvs/the ones i texture.My second uv channel is for the light map(which most of the time is a modified copy of the uvs/first channel).I impoert the model in udk and in the content browser i select the model>open it and change the lightmap res(cant remember the name )but i use digits like 64,128,256 and no more as the more you up the res the longer it will render lightmass.
    When doing lightmaps as you mentioned there shoud be space between uv islands,no fliped uvs,clean as possible.If you have a model composed of many small meshes than you shoud probably make 2 lightmaps for the mesh instead of one.

Thos one has some info when working in udk
    http://eat3d.com/free/udk_lightmaps

Comment

Here I am posting images of my second uv channel and meshses after light building... using production llightning,32 resolution... and those black spots are still there. Even if my uv channel should work

Comment

have you tried raising the lightmap res.64 isn't too high for that mesh.

also,manually unwrapping will give better results on all those little bits at the bottom of your uv textime consuming but worth it for a mesh like the one in your pic.

Comment

You are right, but there are still dark places even on places I unwraped and edited at least 5 times... I l ltry increasing lightmap resolution

Edit: Well Idid increase that to 64 and it did remove some problems. not all thou, and at this point I can honestly say I dont understand this lightmap at all...

Comment

I don't know what modelling program you use, but in blender SmartUVProject + 0.1 spacing, creates an AWSOME lightmap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwUFTh1lAhA

This also illustrate all data rellevant to lightmapping, and how it works in unreal.

Comment

I am using 3DS Max, Neongo. Its written in the first post.

Comment

if you send me the fbx I will show you how I would do it,not that im an expert but I think I can improve on yours.i will record it as I do it and post the vid.

Comment

Originally posted by gaz661 View Post
                  if you send me the fbx I will show you how I would do it,not that im an expert but I think I can improve on yours.i will record it as I do it and post the vid.
                  I 've sent you a pm gaz661

Comment

ive just had a quick look a the mesh.there are a few co-planar faces on the mesh and other little problems.im surprised it looks as good as it did in the pic.nothing that cant be sorted out though.

did you make the mesh yourself?

it will be later on today before I can get stuck in on it,but I will let you know as soon as I start.

Comment

Thank you for having look at it. Yea, I did that mesh all by myself.

Comment

nice job.
                        ive updated my fbx importer(max 2013) and that fixed most of the problems on the mesh apart from the co-planer face.no wonder it looked better in your pic than when I imported.

just starting a quick run through,then I will do the vid.

Comment

I know abot that co-planer face. Hovewer, as udk is taking textures as one sided, it worked pretty well...

Comment

heres part 1.

being new years eve,i may not get a chance to do any more today.but this should help a bit till next year.

Comment

No problem, thanks for 1st part of the video.

Comment

Working...
                              X