Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Has anyone ever seen this before? Certain colors screw up texture import.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever seen this before? Certain colors screw up texture import.

This isn't the order that the problem happened in, but this is probably the easiest way to explain it. Here are my goblins with no eyes or fangs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoblinsNoEyes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	3254094

That's pretty much what they're supposed to look like, but I want them to have white in their eyes and fangs instead of those gaps. (If you look closely you'll see that the eyes and fangs are cutouts, i.e. 1.0 alpha. You can see the sky through them.) It's kind of hard to explain what happens when I try coloring that area in, but it seems that when I add a new color (red in this case), it screws up all of the surrounding pixels:

Name:	GoblinsEyesMessedUp.jpg
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	3254095

But if instead I add a color that's already in the texture, green for example, then I can color the area in.

Name:	GoblinsEyesGreen.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	3254096

Any idea what's causing this? Why can't I just color my textures the way I want?

By the way, this is what it looks like when I try putting a whitish color in there:

Name:	GoblinsEyesWhiteMessedUp.jpg
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	3251108

Comment

Alright. I've been looking very, very closely at all of my spritesheet textures. They all do something funny, and I think it has to do with compression. I just haven't really noticed this before because I haven't had such highly saturated contrasting colors...

All of my textures seem to get divided into 4-pixel x 4-pixel squares. Those squares get colored with their own local palette that isn't the true color palette that I used in Photoshop. But so long as each 4x4 square of pixels has a similar range of colors to the 4x4 squares around it, you don't really notice the color shift. (You don't see any problems around the goblins' loincloths because those are imported as separate textures. They're brown and gray in similar hues. But when I copy/paste the loincloth layer onto the goblin in Photoshop and then import that texture, then the green and the brown/gray bleed into each other.)

In my use case--with highly saturated, low-resolution, contrasting sprite sheets that I blow up really big--I need to have true color down to the individual pixel on every texture I import. Does anyone know if UDK will let me do that? Is there a compression or import option I haven't tried yet? I guess if I have to, I could blow up all of my textures to 16 times their original size, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Comment

Your answer lies here...

Comment

also try 'compression none'. I've seen greens blurring out like in your case before, and it was indeed caused by texture compression

Comment

I assume UDK is still compressing the textures in DXTC format, that sounds like a DXTC issue/behavior. This UDN 2 page probably still applies to UDK w.r.t. texture compression.

Comment

Working...
            X