Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesh prep for vehicle lights. (3ds Max to UDK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesh prep for vehicle lights. (3ds Max to UDK)

I have modeled an ambulance in 3ds Max, which for now all of the mesh lenses for the lights are separate from the body. I am trying to figure out a way how I should prep my model so that it would be possible to have breakable light lenses,which shatter, when the player uses any sort of destructible object. I have watched a basic tutorial on the fracture tool, but it did not answer my question as if I should keep the lenses as separate objects or not.

keep the lenses as part of the mesh and then skin the lenses to individual bones.it is when you damage these bones the animtree will hide the lens and spawn particle system,sound cue and mesh if needed.

Comment

gaz, sorry for the delay, but I am really trying hard to understand how the damage bone controller works. All I want to do is have the lens shatter when the player breaks it. I have searched Google on bone damages, and for what I found from the UDN documentation, I would use a UDKSkeletonConrtol damage, which allows you to attach a static mesh. So I was thinking that I was suppose to make a duplicate lens object in 3ds Max and include the baked animation for the explotion. However, I could not find a way to export/import the animation along with the non-skeletal mesh. If I try to import this into UDK, it comes in as a static mesh with no animation. Am I doing his wrong?

Comment

you would use a PhysX particle system to create the glass flying off and put this in the damage node.

Comment

it also looks pretty good if you spawn and Explode() a FracturedStaticMesh copy of the glass mesh along with the particle system

Comment

Working...
          X