Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by ShadowCrosserX View Post
    I don't think .targa is any better than .png, I think that @Naiana is just having a UV mapping problem. If I am wrong, can you please explain why .png images don't work very well? Thanks.

As or @Naiana, have you tried editing the UV mappings on your material faces within UDK or 3D modeling program?
    I know png uses kind of strange formating for UDK. Just try to import your normal map in png and targa file and see the difference for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hm, did you colapsed your stack before export? I always do that + reset Xform. Which format do you use, .fbx? If yes, which version? Try to uncheck "embed media" in the exporter dialog (if .fbx, dunno about other formats), and then import your texture manualy create your material inside UDK. Also as other dudes said, don't use textures over 4096, and power of 2 only. For a texture of plank like this, a 1024 or even a 512 would be good looking if tileable. And stay away from .jpg!

Post your .max file and I'll take a look

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sounds like some crazy bug that i myself (and others) have encountered (& solved?).

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...lours-amp-look

- You should try to stick to the development rules, or at least the 'best practices' with mesh, textures, and the grid.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Filip5 View Post
    Use targa images, even png doesnt work well. Just look up planks texture on internet and make sure its 1024x1024, plus normal map.Even if its tiable its even better. That way you will get the best result.
    I don't think .targa is any better than .png, I think that @Naiana is just having a UV mapping problem. If I am wrong, can you please explain why .png images don't work very well? Thanks.

As or @Naiana, have you tried editing the UV mappings on your material faces within UDK or 3D modeling program?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Use targa images, even png doesnt work well. Just look up planks texture on internet and make sure its 1024x1024, plus normal map.Even if its tiable its even better. That way you will get the best result.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'd try PNG instead! Also, I think there are strict UV-ratio import rules... Maybe 6000 x 8000 won't cut it....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I wouldn't have thought using a jpg for a texture was commonplace because of the compression.i didn't even know udk could import jpg.try a different format.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I tried that but didnt work at all. Besides, wood-43_d.jpg is 6000x8000 and works just fine. Same UVs than in 3dsmax

Leave a comment:

• replied
    im not saying I know the answer but it probably is the size.why would you use one that big for a plank of wood anyway?256 to 512 is big enough.if you had a map full of stuff with that res textures(probably 3 in a material at least)your game would grind to a halt.even highly detailed characters would rarely use a 4096x4096,more commonly 2048x2048.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Texture issue!

Texture issue!

Hello
    Ive been struggling for days with this issue and I have no clue how to fix it.
    I work in 3dsmax and Im texturing some props I created. They are really simple, boxes and furniture so I created a UVW Mapping for them in channel 1 and its Lightmap in channel 2.

But then in UE my UV maps look distorted and smaller.

Original texture is 6000x6000, I resized it to 2048x2048 just in case but I had the same issue.

But I tried with a different one 6000x8000 / 1536x2048 and it worked just fine. See the image below for better explanation :

So, what Im doing wrong? The working textures arent even a power of two. Is their size? I tried in png and jpg format. What Im missing?
    Thanks in advance!
Working...
X