Polycount for fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polycount for fence

Like the title says: How many polygons should there be in a fence in low poly? My current fence is 1.1k polys I downgraded it from 2k by increasing the spacing between the bars. I have a feeling that this is too much polygons for a simple low poly fence in UDK and that I should instead bake out a single bar onto a plane then composite it in photoshop and use some planes for bars of the fence instead of actual geometry.

Here are the pictures of the fence, you'll see that I really downscaled that sucker to lowest polygons possible.

The way around hi polycount is LOD, even better massive LOD. (http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MassiveLOD.html)

Try to make your game maps with player-view in mind. Hi poly hi res near the player - how hi is up to you including that fence. But when the player's out of range, LOD switch to low and lowest, asap.

Comment

You would need a minimum of 12 tris per board, right? If you want to model damage or weathering, I might look at using lecture maps for that - and LOD for sure.

Comment

Even better, you can just create an opacity map for your fence and map it to a rectangular block. Your polycount will drop significantly.

Comment

Working...
        X