Inside out textures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside out textures?

When i import a model from 3ds max into udk, it makes the textures on the inside of the object. Help please?

If it's what I suspect you have inverted faces (aka Normals) and it's no big deal. I use Blender and Maya, not Max but the principle's exactly the same.

In Max there should be an option: recalculate normals, but I very, very seldom use that option especially on a large mesh. Max like Blender recalculates Normals(faces) whenever you add new sections to a mesh ie: it guesses which way a normal should face, and being a typical program it doesn't always get it right. (So doing mass 'recalculate normals' can make a mess not dissimilar to what you've got in the above pic - so I do it face by face as I work).
    In Blender when a normal is facing the wrong way I select the normal and choose 'Flip Selected Normals.'
    But in Max there surely must be a full textured view like Blender where you can check that all the normals are facing the correct way? Maya has show 'backfaces' or not, option. Max is probably similar because you sincerely must be able to check a model's faces before export.

Anyway I hope it's only a normal flipping problem and you work out what Max wants with a little research.

Comment

Thanks dude, i found a way around it, but i'll be sure to check normals in the future.

Comment

cool, good luck!

Comment

Ya it's definitely inverted normals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkpp

Comment

Working...
          X