Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

noob in character modeling, any help on what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob in character modeling, any help on what to do?

hi guys , i'm in the middle of creating my game and so far so good, but i thought i'd take a break from development and make my character finally (to help scale levels and also feels good when not using a place holder :P)

so my questions are , from your experience what are the easiest programs to use for character modeling? any sources for complete tutorials?

i know i have to make a model, joints, bones and animations.. so what do guys have in mind that would help?

many thanks in advance

It depends. I think that the best 3d softwares are 3dsMax and Maya, and Blender which is free. I work with 3ds Max and I find it perfect for everything (modeling, rigging and also animating), but many autodesk users prefer Maya. They are both great 3d software, but ususally you won't use these two programs alone. for example, I think that Zbrush and Mudbox are fundamental in a 3d environment. You could also use a program like Motion Builder to create the animations along with 3dsMax and Maya.

In my opinion you should start learning 3dsMax or Maya (there are free student versions) and then choose one of the two. In 3dsMax I use CAT to rig characters because it's very easy and fast. But i'm not saying that 3dsMax it's easy to use...

Digital Tutors is a fantastic website (but it's not free) with tons of tutorials for every software. You'll find everything you need about 3dsMax, Maya, Blender (usually there are some beginner's introduction tutorials free, check here)

Comment

Originally posted by sneppy View Post
      It depends. I think that the best 3d softwares are 3dsMax and Maya, and Blender which is free. I work with 3ds Max and I find it perfect for everything (modeling, rigging and also animating), but many autodesk users prefer Maya. They are both great 3d software, but ususally you won't use these two programs alone. for example, I think that Zbrush and Mudbox are fundamental in a 3d environment. You could also use a program like Motion Builder to create the animations along with 3dsMax and Maya.

In my opinion you should start learning 3dsMax or Maya (there are free student versions) and then choose one of the two. In 3dsMax I use CAT to rig characters because it's very easy and fast. But i'm not saying that 3dsMax it's easy to use...

Digital Tutors is a fantastic website (but it's not free) with tons of tutorials for every software. You'll find everything you need about 3dsMax, Maya, Blender (usually there are some beginner's introduction tutorials free, check here)
      thanks a lot for your reply, ok so first i want to understand the work flow, is it :
      - low poly character model
      - rigging model (bones)
      - animation
      - zbrush sculpting (is it just to make face or body shape better?)

is this about it?

i found this for blender : http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/cr...rt-1--cg-16132

i'm looking for almost exactly this same setup, not a high detailed model .. so is this a good way to start? and what other step after this should i take?

also the material applied for the model, can i (in this example) apply different materials for hand, feet, etc... ? and should i do it in blender? or other program?

sorry, i know these are a lot of questions

Comment

My workflow is something like this:
        - Base model (using image reference or model reference) in 3dsMax, trying to use only quads;
        - sculpting the model in ZBrush/Mudbox;
        - Importing the high poly sculpted model in 3dsMax and creating a low poly version (with good topology);
        - creating UVs for the low poly version and baking Normal maps from the high poly version (using 3dsMax-"render to texture"/XNormal);
        - painting the model in Mudbox/Photoshop;
        - creating the rig in 3dsMax;
        - skinning the model to the rig in 3dsMax;
        - animating in 3dsMax;

Comment

Working...
        X