Average time to complete a model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average time to complete a model?

Just curious. I have never really been able to finish any big projects that I start. I think it is due to the fact that I am an over perfectionist and I quit whenever I make a mistake or my model isn't coming along perfectly. How Long, on average, does it take you to model a high poly weapon, optimize it down to a low poly, bake a normal map and unwrap and texture the low poly? I can do all of these things but I think it takes me too long. How long would it take you to do something like that? Please help me out. How many hours/minutes?

My answer may not directly help you as I only modeled/UV mapped/painted textures/animated weapons/players/vehicles/map decos for UT2k4 (definitely low-poly by today's standards), but here are my "two cents" anyways.

[for UT2k4] I usually allowed at least 24 hours minimum for a "large" rifle type weapon for modeling, UV mapping, and skin creation/iteration/tweaking. Modeling was the easiest part by far; I hated UV mapping (but it feels good to create a clean, minimum seams/islands UV map with as little wasted texture space as possible!), and painting the skin usually took a few iterations to get the look and feel consistent with whatever other content I had in game. I've completed some simpler weapons like knives and pistols in as little as 3 hours (I'd usually had good reference pictures and a "mental model" of how I was going to make the whole thing before I opened any programs), while I've spent over 50 hours (over a period of several months) on the first weapon (an M16) I modeled because I kept going back and tweaking the base model, then re-UV mapping, and then tweaking/adjusting the skin.

Comment

Somewhere between 3 and 30 hours depending on quality , the more time you put into it the better it will look

Comment

Modelling an object becomes easy and the tense part for me is keeping the polycount low - depends completely on the model's complexity. Minutes for a simple lamp post, days/weeks for a character. The toughest part for me and most time-consuming is usually the art. Good art can make a shoddy model look impressive.
        You claim you're a perfectionist, then time to you should be a lesser issue, just as hair style and makeup are no issue to a beauty model running from a maniac with a knife because the model's life is more important. I take it to the extreme to make that point. You want perfection or timing - it's a choice you need to make.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses! I will take into deep consideration what you all have posted. Snipe 43s analogy was rather confusing but I think I figured it out :P I will try to balance quality with time. I am starting to realize that this industry is all about time management and balancing time with quality. I will continue to strive for proficiency within 3ds max. Thank you and good luck on your projects!

Comment

Working...
          X