Super new dev, with i'm sure a pretty easy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super new dev, with i'm sure a pretty easy question

I searched google, but i'm sure my problem is that i just don't know how to say what i'm after without explaining it.

I'm only a few months in to learning all the various aspects of game development, after i made a simple map i've moved on to character modeling. My understanding an intent, being that i'm working with no budget, is to do an initial hi poly model in sculpris, then retopologize it by hand in blender. (to learn the hard way first how topology should work) Then once i've got a few animations, and a low poly mesh baked with normals from my sculptris mesh. As i'm working on this i began to think that my model looks strange as eunich, but i dont want to force the base model to be wearing a flap or briefs.

So my question, how do i think about clothes and armor if i intend them to be swapable and wearable by several different base models? Because almost all of the tutorials i've seen, models clothes onto the base. But in the end i'd like an rpg feel, with different armor and weapons throughout, and a few different sized race options at the beginning. I dont need to know exactly how to do it, but i'm curious as to the concepts and how to start thinking about it. A link to a tutorial video would be wonderful.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Check out Skankerzero's Modular Character System http://wiki.polycount.com/Skankerzer...Character\b%29

Comment

Often times with characters the body of the character doesn't exist, only the stuff that's visible. So only the clothing would be there, along with the head and maybe hands depending on what items you have, but the body underneath isn't necessary.

Comment

Working...
      X