polygon count and realtime characters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polygon count and realtime characters.

Hi, I am quite familiar with all the processes involved in importing models and normal and textures and all that, but I have a problem. if I import a model to the recommended polygon count, it looks totally ****, even with normal, it just looks terrible. I know the infiltrator demo is unreal 4, but if you look at the level of detail on him it's just not possible with the recommended polygon count, I've done some experimentation and even when I import a model with a massive polygon count( say 100k) it still doesn't look anywhere near as good as my high poly ( made in zbrush), I'm just asking this because when I play games the models all look pretty good, maybe not high poly but definatley better than what I'm achieving when I import a model into udk, so I have to know what is the real polygon count used in games? and what techniques are used to create an asset that looks like its almost high poly? here is a keyshot render of the model I'm trying to get into the engine.

Games these days are around maybe 15,000 for a character, next gen games can be as much as 100k
    If you're having issues getting it to look good it could be several things, you need to have a good low-poly mesh, and a good normal map for your details. After that it takes some work with materials to give it the right look.

Comment

yeah well I was using zremesher to try and generate a low poly model, but if you look at the model above those gears that are on it, all of them together add up to 28,000 polys in zbrush which is roughly double in udk and trust me, there is no way to make them any lower poly than they already are without ruining them. also figure this out, if my computer can handle roughly 30-50 million polys in zbrush that equates to about double in udk, which would be like 100 million polygons, so why such a low polygon budget? I know there's other things going on in the games engine, but it doesn't make sense for 100 million polygon budget you could handle 6666 realtime models at 15k, that just doesn't add up, I've never seen a game with more than 100 characters on screen except for maybe an rts and all those models are designed to be viewed from a distance.

Comment

What does your model look like in UDK just wondering

Comment

well... it doesn't look as good as other similar styled sci-fi games characters, I can tell you that. In order to get the model to look even half decent the polycount in udk is up around the 200k mark, which as far as I can figure is way too high for characters, although that said, this article http://pikigeek.com/2012/01/23/naugh...-technowizard/ suggest that the models in uncharted 2 were actually 80,000k per character, which seems a little bit more believable to me. I'll post a screenshot of the 200k model if you want, didn't think there was much point though as it's apparently unusable. heres a pic of the 200k model in engine, haven't bothered messing around with materials for it as its unusable, cant post pics of lower poly versions cause I deleted all of them cause they looked terrible.

Comment

The most obvious issue is that you have no reflections so that's a material issue. Keyshot uses an hdri image for it's renders and you can do similar and there is some examples on youtube and the udn. The other issue is obviously a normal map issue. You can increase the intensity of the normals and add a bump offset node to enhance the details. The words are blurry, could be related to texture compression or mipmap settings.

Comment

thanks, I will check out the material and normal map issues later, my main problem though is how to create a model that looks as good as that that's only 15k lol, I just don't think it's possible, if I use zremesher I do each subtool individually. but see those struts for the exoskeleton? if I reduce their polycount any lower they look totally weird, completely wrong shape and everything, I know the normal map can fix that to some degree, but if I reduced them as much as I needed to there would be no holes in the struts. I know I could manually retopoligize everything but to be honest I don't see myself being able to get great results that way either, as it stands a 200k model isn't acceptable in games( keeping my fingers crossed for the day when the poly limit is 500k for a model, now I could actually get great results with that )

Comment

ZRemesher adds a lot of unnecessary polygons you might want to stick with the zsphere retopology method or create nearly all those forms with overlapping planes, cubes and cylinders and use detail normals. 15k is asking for too much if you plan on using ZRemesher. 40-60k is more likely.

Comment

yeah I think you are right, gonna have to do it manually, I noticed that when zremesher does the struts it adds lots of unnecessary polygons to what should be relatively simple shapes, still retopologising this model manually is gonna be a pain in the ***, i'll post an update when its finished

Comment

You have to do it by hand, there's nothing I see that can't be created with a very low poly mesh. Like those gears you were talking about can be a simple cylinder shape with a normal map for detail. As far as the difference between Zbrush poly handling compared to UDK, the reason Zbrush can do tens of millions of polygons and UDK can't is that there's a lot more going on in UDK, things like lighting and complex shaders on top of all the game code. Besides that, Zbrush doesn't actually use your graphics card, it's all CPU power, which for one it means you have access to a lot more memory than a game engine which has to store geometry and textures in the graphics memory--most graphics cards these days only have 2GB.

Comment

I would recommend 30K polys (15K in ZBrush) for cinematic purposes and use Tessellation with a multiplier of 0.2 for the best results (performance+quality)

If you already have the model detailed out in ZBrush you can create a copy of the mesh then ZRemesh it to the level you will use in the game (30K in UDK/15K in ZBrush) then SubD the mesh back to where you want the detail to be the Project All back on the the mesh from the original

Make sure when you ZRemesh to enable Symmetry even if the model isn't symmetrical and if the remesh isn't edge looping exactly as you like hold ALT when clicking ZRemesh which will loop a bit differently

ZRemesher is a volumetric tool so it works very well and in most cases yields the same results as manually retopoing

Comment

cool, thanks i'll try this, should I retopo each tool individually or just remesh the whole thing?

Comment

I would do each SubTool individually but you should account for the poly count per subtool so the make up the total together

If you retopo together it will make polygroups for each SubTool

Originally posted by L04D3D View Post
                          cool, thanks i'll try this, should I retopo each tool individually or just remesh the whole thing?

Comment

Working...
                          X