How modify faces in runtime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How modify faces in runtime?

Sorry if this is not the correct section! I can't find exact section match for this topic

Anyone who has played any game in the mass effect trilogy knows about the feature that you can create your own character's face in game

How did they do that? Was it bone animation? Or it was something they did add by modifying the licensed source code?

I don't know what techinque was used in Mass Effect, but I would use Morph Targets to modify faces; bones are only used to animate the expressions of the face.

Comment

Originally posted by sneppy View Post
      I don't know what techinque was used in Mass Effect, but I would use Morph Targets to modify faces; bones are only used to animate the expressions of the face.
      Ugh that would mean to model every single type of face possible in game!!!

In mass effect you could do things like elongate the jaw or distance between eyes etc all very linearly with sliders controls.. Does that mean they made a morph target for every combination of slider position?

Comment

no, morph targets don't work like that.
        Let's say you want to make the eyes bigger and your chin longer. you'll have two morph targets (two meshes, one with big eyes, one with long chin) and when you set the slider (i'm talking about the anim tree morph node slider) of both morph targets to 1.0 they gets added. This means that you don't need a mesh for every combination, but you need a mesh for every single detail.

Comment

Originally posted by sneppy View Post
          no, morph targets don't work like that.
          Let's say you want to make the eyes bigger and your chin longer. you'll have two morph targets (two meshes, one with big eyes, one with long chin) and when you set the slider (i'm talking about the anim tree morph node slider) of both morph targets to 1.0 they gets added. This means that you don't need a mesh for every combination, but you need a mesh for every single detail.

So do you mean I can control how much fraction of the morph target should be added to my model?

suppose i have one with small eyes and one with big normal or base mesh then i can add 50% of big eye to my base mesh to make the eyes bigger then original but smaller then the morph target. is it correct?

Comment

Watch this video:

Comment

Working...
            X