Some help with ZBrush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    If you have 4R6 they added an AMAZING retopo tool called ZRemesher which will remesh your model to the desired poly count while creating perfect edgeloops, the ZBrush polycount is quads so it will be doubled in UDK which uses tris

My workflow with ZBrush to UDK is to create a base mesh using ZSpheres or import a model i have a created elsewhere - I usually create structural elements like walls, arches, stairs, etc. in SoftImage then UV, Detail and Paint them in ZBrush and bake out the maps to the original model

After i have the base mesh created i use ZRemesher to remesh it to the polycount i'm going to use in UDK (set it to half what your going to need in UDK since it's using Quads in ZBrush, so for 10K polys set it to 5K in ZBrush, this will be your lowest subdivision level)

I then start sculpting the overall shape from the mesh, you want to add detail as you subdivide since your next subdivison will be shaped around your current mesh for that level

I subdivide it to where i need it for the best detail which is usually around 3mil poys for most biped characters (This detail will be the normal map, spec map and AO map)

After i have detailed the mesh (added wrinkles, skin, etc.) i start to paint it (this will be your diffuse map) - Texture detail when polypainting depends on your mesh resolution so you want it to be pretty high when painting

After i'm done will all of this i run UV Master to create the UVs (make sure to set UV size in the UV tool first, 1024x, 2046x, Etc.) then i export the lowest subdivision (mesh to be used in UDK)

I then export all of the maps from the mesh, for the normalmap you want to have your 2nd highest subd level selected before generating the normalmap and you need to FlipV (flips the texture vertically to make it correct for export) then when you import into UDK flip Green Channel (don't flip green channel within ZBrush or it can cause some keystoning)

With this workflow i can create an average biped character within 2-3 hours without ever having to leave ZBrush until i need to convert the OBJ to FBX

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the reply, that gives me a good place to start.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There's two types of painting in Zbrush, the easiest way is polypaint, which as you guessed it actually colors the polygons rather than painting to a texture map. It's a bit limited however in what it can do. The other method is projection painting, I haven't messed with Zbrush for a while so it may be different now, but projection painting allows you to freeze your view and paint over the view and then when you're done painting it will project your painting back onto the mesh and save it to the texture map and then unfreeze the view. Polypaint gives you more freedom to be able to zoom around and quickly change your view to paint on different areas (you can even paint while sculpting) but projection gives you more painting features. I believe there's even a feature now that will freeze the view and send it to Photoshop where you can use the tools there to paint over it and then it will project your Photoshop work back onto the model in Zbrush. Other programs like Mudbox or Mari allow you to have full interaction while also allowing you the extra painting tools and painting directly to the texture map.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Some help with ZBrush

Some help with ZBrush

I am looking for someone more familiar than I am with ZBrush to give me a few pointers. I already do sculpting and retopologizing. The topics I need help with are setting up zbrush for texturing, and making straight lines. When I try to make skins for my character, it seems as though I am painting the polys of the model rather than painting to the texture map. I have seen some sort of gizmo for making straight lines in the videos I have watched, but can't really figure out how to do that for myself. Also, I have seen things painted from an image plane being projected onto the model from that view. I would also like to learn that.
Working...
X