Overlapping UV's and lighting question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overlapping UV's and lighting question:

I do a lot of tree modeling. I used to model for Unreal back in the UT3 days, but moved on and have been working with Source for some time in Counter-strike GO.

When I model/Uv map my trees I usually have 4 unique branches in the UV space, and overlap multiple UVs on top of each other (since there are so many branches). I do this because I would need too much UV space if dozens of branches had their own space and for a higher resolution branch/leaves.

Ive known that overlapping can cause lighting issues with models but I have read now that UDK allows you to load a second UV map for the light mapping.

My question is: Can I use overlapping UV's? If I cannot can I use a seperate UV for the lightmaps?

Thank you for any help you can give

For your material you can use overlapping UV's just fine. You just need a second UV channel that will be used for your lightmap, and that one can't have overlapping UV's.
    If your UV's for your material aren't overlapping and follow all the lightmap UV guidelines, then you can use it for both, but by default it's set to use the second UV channel.

Comment

Lightmaps here are explained very well, take a look: UDK: 18 Important Principles for Creating and Using Lightmaps in UDK (Lightmapping Basics)

Comment

Thank you guys for the help much appreciated

Comment

Working...
        X