Textures not working... why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    That worked! Yay it booming worked! Thanks all for your help. I'm a very happy choppy…. Phew...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No I haven't tried that. I'll try that thanks. Didn't realise texture coordinate nodes existed. But then I'm still new , very new to UDK…. thanks again...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do you have texture coordinate nodes in your materials? You need to use those and change the coordinate index in those to match whatever UV set you're trying to use.

So in the material you're using for the head, you need a texture coordinate node plugged into the UVs input off all the head textures and set the Coordinate Index to 2 (which would be the THIRD UV set on the model). The material for the body, since you said it's on the second UV set, would need texture coordinate nodes attached to the textures with their coordinate indexes set to 1 (which uses the SECOND UV set on the model.)

Make sure to keep the lightmap coordinate index at 0 and you should be set.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi guys, After days of scratching my head I had another look at the model in Blender. I actually made a simple shape and applied 2 materials and basically simulated what I'm trying to do with the female model. Seemed to work. But the model didn't. Not sure what the difference was. I double check the materials and textures where properly assigned to the correct UV. Still nothing. BUT, in my UV object data I moved the head UV down, so that it was second in its list (making Body UV at the top) This seemed to do something. The problem I had with the body being blue and not showing the texture has now changed. Can now see the body texture But the head is now yellow. Same problem but reversed. Realising the UV list was a possible reason I had a play with it. I now have the list so that light map is now on the top, then the body then the head. Both texture now appear on the model, BUT the uv mapping is screwed. see below. Any Ideas?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My materials look like this when something with the smoothing groups has failed -> so take a look at your smoothing groups

Leave a comment:

• replied
    then having 2 UV's is probably why the body mat is messed up in UDK, to test if that's the issue in blender separate the head into its own object, reimport to UDK and reapply the materials.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Head and body are all one mesh. Yeah, one material is assigned to the head and another for the body....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    in blender are the head and body separate objects or all one object?

also are you assigning materials to the head/body in blender?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks, I really appreciate your help on this The head worked having changed the uv index.

The head and the body both have a material. I assign the relating texture to it. Having hi-lighted the head material, I then go into the mesh editor, and click in the LODInfo-Elements-0 and click the green arrow. I do the same for the body. But that's when it doesn't work.

I used two materials and texture purely so the face would have more detail.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well I can tell you that if your lightmap is the third UV channel in blender you will need to change the "lightmap coordinate index" in UDK to 2 and not 1, yours is set to 1 wich means its using your 2nd UV channel witch if im not mistaken has no head.

as for the body material, we would need to know how you assigned the 2nd material to the 2nd UV.

--edit--

just remembered you don't even need a separate UV for head and body if they are 1 object, you just need to assign 2 materials. your body mat problem is probably caused by it using the first UV, unless your head and body are separate objects.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The lighting was built with the original post. Funny, once built the head is gone, but if I move the lamp (before rebuilding again) the head comes back.
    Here are the screens for the uv's and materials. I've also included a blender 3D screen... not sure if that'll be any help. But the way, this doesn't include the normal maps... Also this is a static mesh, but I plan on rigging and animating...

[IMG][/IMG]

Leave a comment:

• replied
    first of all make sure that the lights are built, since your model is a static mesh.
    If building the lights doesn't solve the problem, I would focus on the static mesh lighting properties. I don't think that the problem is related to materials...

You should post a screen of your materials and maybe of the body UVs

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Textures not working... why?

Textures not working... why?

I've been working on this character for a while now in blender and am currently finishing up the texturing. I have 2 uv's. one for the head and one for the body. (the 3rd uv for light mapping) When I assign the texture, the head works fine but the body seems to do something but it just has a shiney blue look.

Also, (Just to test it out) if I place the model in and build the light. The head is in complete shadow.....

(The eye is missing because I haven't added the second one yet)

Please help. What am I doing wrong?
Working...
X