Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

normal maps from zbrush not lining up

hello,

i'm trying to nail down a workflow from zbrush to 3ds to UDK. It's all working fine except the normal maps I make in zbrush don't seem to line up in 3ds or in UDK. They look like this:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7072449/choza.jpg
    as you can see the top half of the box has a shadow, there is detail in weird places, etc.

I've tried flipping all the different color channels in zbrush, tried flipping the U and V around by copying the normal map into a texture. none of this seems to make any difference.

just wondering if anyone here has a workflow that works for them through these 3 programs or if you might have any solution to this. i've tried googling around but in the tutorials i watch there isn't this problem or they just flipG and it works fine. using zbrush 4R6.

thanks!

Did you import your normal map to UDK with Normal Map compression? If not, then it will not work correctly (it's under the import options when you import to UDK).

Comment

ok i've found if i just open all the zbrush generated tiff maps (NM, TXTR and DM) into photoshop and convert them to tgas, make a new material using the tgs, apply that, i don't get the weird alignments. why would that be? is there a way to make zbrush just export its maps as tgas? i feel like this is a huge hack and i'm sure there's a much better way to do this.

Comment

Working...
      X