Skeletal Mesh keeps failing at importing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skeletal Mesh keeps failing at importing

Hi there! I'm having a problem with UDK lately. There are some models in FBX format I just can't get to import.
    I know, I know, this question has been asked a million times, however, I checked everything. The textures are power of 2,
    RGB and the skeletal mesh imports just fine if I import it as static mesh which must mean that there's something "wrong" with the skeleton itself.

Is there any way to know exactly WHY it's failing to import? Maybe something like a log or anything more detailed than a vague "Failed to import"?

Also, just to clarify, I do know how to export skeletal meshes properly to FBX so UDK accepts them. These are not the first models I import.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Check you import settings:

-everything with animation should be enabled

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
      Check you import settings:

-everything with animation should be enabled
      Unfortunately, no matter what I choose in the settings it just won't import. Plus, the skeletal mesh I'm trying to import doesn't have an animation to begin with.

Comment

-import a psk/psa file instead
        -place you fbx file into the content folder and import it from there
        -check a 2nd time if you have those import settings (normally those settings solve the problem ^^)

Click image for larger version

Name:	import.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	3250087

Comment

-import a psk/psa file instead
          -place you fbx file into the content folder and import it from there
          -check a 2nd time if you have those import settings (normally those settings solve the problem ^^)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13767[/ATTACH]
          Importing the models as psk crashes UDK right after importing and placing the fbx in the content folder doesn't seem to work either.
          Is there really no way to check what's wrong with the importing? There must be something to check what error causes the import to fail.

Comment

Probably you can find something in the UDK Log file -> UDKGame-Logs

Comment

can be a lot of things mainly the rig set-up, it might help if you tell us which program has been used to export the mesh also a few pics showing the mesh+rig

the main fault would be multiple root bones, UDK requires a single root bone for the rig

Comment

Probably you can find something in the UDK Log file -> UDKGame-Logs
                Yeah, you're right. Thanks. I didn't know UDK had a log for this too.
                Anyways, I think I found my error.

[0078.77] Error: mesh0 mesh has 284 bones which exceeds the maximum allowed bone count of 256.

I didn't know UDK had a bone count limit... I guess I'll have to simplify the skeleton quite a bit.
                I think you guys can close this already. This has to be the cause.

Thank you for you help.

Comment

This page details the limits. More than 75 vertex influencing bones will incur additional rendering passes.

Comment

Working...
                  X