Question about fbx groups and shared light maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about fbx groups and shared light maps

I have a question regarding a sentry gun model. Its made up of three separate pieces. When I exports this model I just select the pieces export and in UDK it imports as one model with 3 different material input nodes. Does this mean they do not share the same light map? If so I can make my light maps better. The three pieces have different texture sets but I still made them fit into one light map. There was nothing in UDK to really confirm this so I'm asking you guys! Basically when selecting multiple pieces of geometry and exporting them into one file into UDK, do they still share one lightmap? Any ideas on this would be wonderful.

Thanks!

If it is combined during import as a single mesh then it will use one lightmap. Aren't you going to animate the gun though? You don't need to worry about lightmaps with movers or skeletal meshes.

Comment

the pieces are not combined I split the mesh into two pieces to have better textures. But I didn't know that skeletal meshes do not use light maps though. This is what I'm working on I split it up into three pieces actually and was gonna export the shield and chair as one pieces. Then the gun is still two pieces " not combined". I just select the two and export. But if your telling me that skeletal meshes don't need light maps then I should make this one big skeletal mesh when I animate the gun?

Comment

Yeah, don't worry about lightmaps for animated objects. You can either rig and animate it in your modeling software then bring it into UDK as one skeletal mesh, or you can bring every part into the UDK separately then make an animated prefab with it...depends on how you want to use it in your project really.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacky View Post
          Yeah, don't worry about lightmaps for animated objects. You can either rig and animate it in your modeling software then bring it into UDK as one skeletal mesh, or you can bring every part into the UDK separately then make an animated prefab with it...depends on how you want to use it in your project really.
          Thanks for the info helped a lot thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X