Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brick mesh with repeated piece seen as multiple unique pieces in UDK (Fix?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brick mesh with repeated piece seen as multiple unique pieces in UDK (Fix?)

Okay, I have a problem and it may just be me being crazy.

I created a brick mesh in 3DS:

It is one brick repeated multiple times. As such I only used a UV for a single brick (One for texture, one for lightmap). When I import this into UDK it sees the bricks as a set of unique bricks, so my lightmap is TERRIBLE as it tries to overlap it 31 times. Is there a way to make UDK realize that there is just individual piece with its own texture/lightmap that is repeating instead of 32 unique bricks? As it stands its difficult to separate all the bricks into the one light map because everything is tiny, nearly overlapped, and the shadows are ugly.

The only workable solution I've come up with is to suck it up, break everything out individually and use a higher resolution lightmap (512) than I wanted. I thought about just importing the brick, making the shape in UDK and creating a prefab with it, but that seemed like a ridiculous amount of work to get that result.

Thanks,

Louis

Edit: Just getting this in before hand. While I appreciate alternative ways to do this I am really looking for responses to this problem in particular. I'm aware I could get a similar, if not nearly identical effect with normals/bumps/etc. I just wanted this modeled out since they're going to be seen relatively closely and it looks nicer. Thanks again.

It can't, the lightmap UV's can't be overlapping at all. Each brick would have a different lighting situation and there's no way to represent that if they are overlapping. The only way you can use a lower resolution lightmap with high quality results would be to bake it to a normal map and simplify the mesh.

Comment

Yeah, the more I played with it the less I thought it would do that. I was essentially hoping it would pick up that it already is essentially imported as a prefab and not one mesh. Nuts.

Comment

you can always import just one brick and assemble the mesh itself in UDK with instances of that brick then save it as a prefab.

Comment

Yeah, I had mentioned that in the original post but thanks for the input either way. Right now I have a higher poly count than I want but it is for a class assignment that is due in a few weeks so I'll just leave it be for now so I can move ahead. There really isn't that much in this particular level anyway so it shouldn't hurt anything. Thanks again guys.

Comment

When you create a Assets they need to have two UV channels, one is the original UV map and the other would be the lightmap channel. So create two UV channels UV channel 0, and UV channel 1. UDK will automatically use channel 1 for the lightmaps

Comment

Working...
            X