Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shall i use Zbrush?

Hello everyone!

Recently i have seen some of the work that has been created in Zbrush, and i've got to say that some of it was amazing. I would like to ask you all, is Zbrush better than Blender, and if so can you explain why. I'm planning on buying it, but i would like to see what you would like to say about it, to make sure that i have got a varified opinion, about the program.

ZBrush and other sculpting tools are just tools in a complete toolbox. Sculpting software does not replace the need of modeling software, it merely adds to it.

Generally you would create a base mesh in a modeling software, then bring it into a sculpting software to create normal maps.

Those amazing high definition busts and characters you've seen, aren't usable for games. Only in the form of a low poly with a normal map.

Comment

They aren't designed for the same thing. Zbrush is only for sculpting and texturing, Blender is a general 3D program that has a limited sculpting capability but has things like more advanced rendering and animation. The stuff you make in Zbrush wouldn't be good to use in a game either, it's specifically for doing high poly details that you would then bake onto a low-poly game mesh that you import from a different program. It doesn't even have an ability to export to UDK anyways.

Comment

while blenders sculpting tools have improved recently (especially in regard to the "dynamic topology" option), programs like zbrush have been specifically made for sculpting so even though you could sculpt something in blender that looks good it would be a lot easier and faster in zbrush. but that's just my opinion

Comment

Don't forget about the QRemesher plugin though that makes life a lot easier once you have a highpoly sculpt that has to go lowpoly. Having said that its results still need manual cleanup in Blender or 3DS max, but its much better than starting from a "blank canvas". I also often use its UV Master plugin for the models that I polypainted in Zbrush. However it is not suitable for models that you plan to texture in Photoshop in 2D ofc. Personally I also really like that they always offer the latest versions of Zbrush without charging for updates... I hope Pixologic keeps that up, huge advantage over Mudbox!

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
            X