Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UVW map sizes

Hi!
    I’m trying to set up a UVW map for texturing in Photoshop later. Up until now I’ve discovered that more or less all of my sides becomes low res like, and I think I’ve discovered why. Some faces are huge. Or small in the UVW map. I guess that’s why atleast.
    Here’s a screenshot:
    http://i.imgur.com/3DMu1CQ.png

That’s the backside of the bookshelf that I’ve enlargened so the texture looks ok, but the problem is that the faces becomes huge and can’t fit inside the map.
    Any solutions to this?

Here’s a zip file of the 3ds max save files and the number texture:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/10hqu1h66mpbp24/Bookshelf.zip

Thanks alot

It's fine to have large faces that extend outside the 0 to 1 for your material textures. That is typical if you need to tile a texture.
    Just make sure you create a second UVW unwrap for your light-maps and that one will need to be completely in the 0 to 1

Comment

You can save uv space by overlapping duplicated parts like each side pillar, the shelves and some of the books (you could even give the books their own texture

You probably don't need to go outside the 0-1 space for this asset.

Comment

But in my picture, the face is extremely much larger than the UV map. Even with more maps, I can't make it fit. Well, I can by shrinking the UV face but that makes any texture applied a low res.
        This is my first attempt at UV mapping, maybe I'm just missing something in the process?

Comment

You also have the option of using a multi-sub object material. You can then use several seperate textures on one object

Comment

you should be able to fit all the pieces in the 0-1 space and create a 1024x1024 texture for it. Just make sure the uv pieces are proportional to eachother. Use the test texture to make sure everything has about equal texel density first and then scale everything down until you can fit it all in.

Comment

Working...
            X