Real-Time Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real-Time Materials

Hey guys ive just made a sword and i want to make one part of ther sword have a real-time material but from what i know you can only put 1 material on the mesh which can be full real-time material or just plain material but i remembered that the shockrifle has a real-time along with normal material and opened up its texture2D but im still not sure how to do it so my question is how do i make a texture with real-time material and normal material??

I don't think you know what a material is.

A material/shader is a combination of elements that change how something looks. Typically you would use a set of texture maps, so a texture could be plugged into the diffuse slot to give the object its color, specularity creates highlights and normal maps give a finer detail by changing the direction that surfaces appear to be facing---useful for adding things like wrinkles and cracks and things like that with depth. For something like a sword you'd want some type of reflection image, UDK can use cube maps for that along with specular maps to create the shine.

Comment

After reading your question about 10 times, I think I finally understand it. The thing is, you've made assumptions rather than investigating how things work, and come up with conclusions which are only going to confuse us who actually know how materials work.
      Your question doesn't make any sense.

First of all. A material is a material, and a texture is a texture. A texture is not a material, and a material is not a texture.
      A material is generally (but not necessarily) compromised of a collection of textures, as described by darthviper above.

There is no such thing as a "real-time" material versus "static/normal" material. What I believe you are confused about is seeing some materials with things such as specular, versus a unlit material. And you are right when saying these cannot be combined. This is isn't a technical or skill based thing, this is because they are directly contradictory to eachother. It's like saying I want something that's visible and invisible at the same time. You can have something that's in between, but not both.

A unlit material is a material that is set so that only the diffuse has an effect, meaning that modern technology, such as lighting, shading, speculars and bumps won't come into effect, and as a result it will appear static. It isn't "frozen" or not "Real-time", it just has no properties that would make any changes apparent.

Once you've applied things such as specular and normal maps, those details aren't "baked" into your material, it's not static, it's not an image, if it was, you could just make it all a part of your diffuse. A normal map will shade your object, depending on the angle of your lightsource, and a specular will do the same with highlights.

You do not change these things within a texture, you change this within a material.

Comment

So the material on the shockrifle(the part thats glowing) is just a mixture of specular and normal maps?? If so with what im trying do do how do i choose to apply the reflectiveness only to the swords blade?

Comment

i think that the glow effect on the shock rifle is achieved with emissive... check this page, is full of nice examples of shader you can create >> MaterialExamples

Comment

There's also ways to animate materials to make them flash or move in patterns using nodes like panner and rotator.

Comment

Working...
            X