Two Errors when Importing into UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Errors when Importing into UDK

Hello, so whenever I import a simple model into UDK from 3Ds Max I always get an error before it imports 'Generated/imported vertex count ratio (2181/1206) exceeds expected percentage (80.85% vs 25% expected). This doesn't usually cause any problems that I've noticed, but something must be up.

Also, I imported a model made of only simple primitives and Booleans. Not only do I get the error above, but I cannot place the model into my map.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by FluxCap4city View Post
    Hello, so whenever I import a simple model into UDK from 3Ds Max I always get an error before it imports 'Generated/imported vertex count ratio (2181/1206) exceeds expected percentage (80.85% vs 25% expected). This doesn't usually cause any problems that I've noticed, but something must be up.
    Nothing's up. It's pretty much a default warning, ignore it, the warning has in fact been removed from UDK overall quite some time ago.

Originally posted by FluxCap4city View Post
    Also, I imported a model made of only simple primitives and Booleans. Not only do I get the error above, but I cannot place the model into my map.

Any ideas?
    It's probably because you made the model out of primitives and booleans. Booleans make no topology, meaning that while it may look ok in 3ds max, it's technically a completely useless mess.

Comment

Is there anyway I can fix it and still use my model? I would really hate to have to model it any other way.

EDIT: Wait, now that I think about it. I modeled a door, and imported it, which gave me the first error. The second error came from the door frame that I modeled. BOTH used booleans, but only the second one gave me the error. The door frame model included the door model itself.

Comment

You probably don't need booleans to model a door frame.

Comment

Indeed.
          If you feel booleans are the only comfortable way to model, you probably haven't really practiced and experienced proper ways of modeling enough. I can make a basic door from a box alone with all the details it would need literally under a minute. While making it out of multiple primitives, modifying each one to fit then using booleans and fixing the model afterwards would actually complicate things immensely.

Booleans are easy when it comes to learning them, but they are actually very impractical. It's a good starting point, but it's also only a starting point.

Comment

I have a lot of experience just using the tools that you get when modeling editable polys. I'm still learning, Graylord, what techniques do you use to model?

Comment

Well, it depends entirely on the object. I mostly do inorganic objects, so I use inset, connect, chamfer, extrude and bevels quite a lot (doesn't mean I use them exclusively), as they give a mathematically clean deformations which I personally prefer over the inaccuracies over doing things more manually.

Comment

Okay, I modeled the doorframe again by using an editable poly and extruding it into the shape. Not only can I place this into UDK, but I can no longer place my other model, the door, into the map (or any other maps).

Comment

Your wording may be confusing me, but isn't that what you would expect? It sounds like you expected to now suddenly be able to place your old door model despite it not working previously.

Comment

Oh no, the door worked previously, despite it also being made with booleans. And now my map isn't opening...ugh...

EDIT: Okay, reimported both under a new Package, both load now just fine. No errors. The level was corrupted but fortunately I found a backup that only sets me 5 minutes behind schedule.

Can anyone explain what just happened?

Comment

Working...
                    X