Max or Maya? for Modeling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max or Maya? for Modeling?

I'm looking into starting up modeling, which is a better program for modeling for games and what not?

It depends... In my opinion 3ds Max is the best one. I use 3ds Max for base-modeling and animating (I use CAT inside 3ds max) with MudBox and MotionBuilder. I have Maya too. I gave it a try but I didn't feel as confortable as I am with 3sd Max. I suggest you download the student licenses, which are completely free even if you can't use it for commercial purpouse, and you choose which one you prefer...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBlin2 View Post
      I'm looking into starting up modeling, which is a better program for modeling for games and what not?
      Both are exactly the same but with different interfaces and workflows. I use both

Comment

I use Maya as that is what I first learned. If I had to I could probably learn Max no sweat. Once you're comfortable with one the only learning curve is understanding the different workflows and interfaces.

From the last three posts you can see that it varies per person. Download the trials or student versions of each and mess around with both and gravitate to the one that feels better. Or even learn them both in tandem so you can have a better shot at jobs. My studio uses almost all Maya, but there's others that may be a Max only studio. You never know.

Comment

I feel nothing beats the marking menu workflow Maya has. It comes to a point where its like gesture control modelling, swipe in a direction and POW magic happens.

Comment

I started to learn both, and after a while I liked 3ds Max more. I found Maya UI too cluttered, and 3ds Max more simple and organized, but to each his own.

Comment

Working...
            X