Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[WALK-THROUGH] Fully Functional Vehicle (my first car).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    nice plan.

incoming

Leave a comment:

• replied
    pm me the blend file. we're going to have to fix that error.
    the plan atm is to use a copy skin it all to a single bone and export, remove sections of the mesh till we find the bit thats causing the error.
    well thats my plan

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by geodav View Post
    i think its to do with the left hand /right hand co-ordinate system, exporters/importers need to take that into account which in the case of blender it doesn't.
    that's what I figured, I did manage to change the default fbx exporter settings and tried exporting a few times with the different default "up/forward" axis, but when I imported them into UDK they were all on there side and all oriented along the same axis so clearly blender is exporting everything facing the same direction regardless of weather you change the settings for "up" or "forward" witch is clearly part of the problem if it doesn't know what up/forward is.

so atm i think the only option for blender users is the psk exporter
    yep, but as I cant get it working for this model should I just rotate my car 180 degrees and invert the wheel rotation like yesterday because it did technically work, as in if I press "W" it goes forward, if I press "S" it goes backward and "A" and "D" steer in the right direction. I am slightly put off by doing this because of trying to work out the axis for the other bone controllers witch as you know I have no idea what im doing with them anyway.

so what do you think, what would be the best way for me to proceed? (I could send you the blend file via pm if you want to take a look and see if you can work out why it wont export via the .psk exporter)

sorry for the late reply my laptop went all screwy, had to use a restore point witch messed up the fresh UDK install,my Norton 360, and my dongle. just spent the last 6 hours reinstalling everything, running diagnostics and repairing my system, but It's fixed and working like new, I also had to setup my package and scripts again witch was annoying but that's all good now aswell

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i think its to do with the left hand /right hand co-ordinate system, exporters/importers need to take that into account which in the case of blender it doesn't.

so atm i think the only option for blender users is the psk exporter

Leave a comment:

• replied
    so i did an experiment on my car. i rotated my mesh in the mesh viewer and tried driving it and "w" made it go forward "S" made it reverse. i had to invert rotation of the wheels to make them go forward as the car was moving forward becuse rotating the car made the wheels go the wrong direction. i did'nt leave it like that, it was just a test. i did notice the Y axis in blender is the opposite from UDK(if X is pointing toward the camera and Z is up), i wonder if thats part of the problem with the .fbx exporter

--EDIT--

ive just been doing some research about the XYZ axis in different softwares and came up with some wierd results. (i used google images to find pictures of peoples scenes.)

in blender if you orientate the camera(in 3d view) so Z is up and X is pointing the camera the Y axis points to the right.
    in 3ds max if you orientate the camera(in 3d view) so Z is up and X is pointing the camera the Y axis points to the right
    in maya if you orientate the camera so(in 3d view) Z is up and X is pointing the camera the Y axis points to the left
    in UDK if you orientate the camera(in 3d view) so Z is up and X is pointing the camera the Y axis points to the left

frankly i think its amazing anyone can import with the correct orietation of there models

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i guess ill just have to keep my buggy as is for now and just try to find a work around for the "W" and "S" issue. i mean the car is now level and drivable-ish, i just need to tweak a few values in the script like wheel slip, turn amount...ect, things like that but they are only minor tweaks.

i'll try to figure out a work around for the fbx exporter a bit later when ever im not working on my car.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    doesn't matter what i try it goes for ****

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i tried it just now aswell, i checked the XNA workaround button exported and imported to UDK, it was still on its side but the bones axis were correct rellative to the mesh, i also tried rotating it in UDK and the bones rotated with it insead of a random direction like last time. just a side note this time when i imported i did'nt use the "use TAO's ref pose" button. so we might be able to find a work around for it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok just been trying blender 2.66 the fbx exporter is still f***ed the bones get mirrored and it still points the wrong way looks like i'm going to have kick some backends, god knows what they are playing at

Leave a comment:

• replied
    managed to fix the wheel size issue by adding "WheelRadius=27" for the front and "wheelRadius=32" on the rear. i did add "SuspensionTravel=40" as well but got a warning when i recompiled the scripts because of the "wheel.u" file so i just commented the suspension bit i added out recompiled and got no warnings. only thing left is the "W" and "S" issue.

--EDIT--

i added those bits of code to the "UTVehicle_buggy.uc" in the default properties section below the bone offset for each wheel.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok the S+W problem i expect is due to the fact the way the base bone is pointing, you could move the comoffset forward but i'm thinking there must be a way to fix this to make the wheels sit right and have the com in the right place

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok ill do this in pieces.

1: at present i have copies of blender 2.58/2.62/2.63/2.64/2.65/and as of today2.66, i will be testing on all of them later.

2: i will fix the wheel offset you said about yesterday, also where do i find this "COMOffset=(x=-40.0,y=0.0,z=-36.0)", i will fix all at the same time.hope it works

3: i actually tried the psk exporter again yesterday and got the same warning about only needing 2 somethings(cant remember the word) where 5 were given. i tried the remove doubles again and nothing changed. i also went through the entire mesh again and foud 2 faces inside the front right wheel hub so i deleted them and tried the psk exporter again and still got the same warning.

just a side note, i found out the blender people know about the rotation problems with the fbx exporter but i dont know if there fixing it or not (just said there investigating it), im hoping it might be fixed in the 2.66 version but i doubt it. although on the 2.66 releas notes it does show they have upgraded some of the tools (for topology/UV stitching...ect) witch is good

--EDIT--

found and changed thaty piece of script will test now.

--EDIT--

car is not leaning anymore but the back of the car is closer to the floor and the rear tyres are still slightly sunk because the back wheels are bigger then the front. also it still goes forward when i press "S" an backward when i press "W" witch is the wrong way round. other then that it works sort of ok (maybe a bit slow).

if i can find a work around for these two issues i might be able to keep it as is instead of trying to fix the fbx exporter(ill still try either way), then i can start the rest of the skeletal cotrollers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok the last half decent fbx blender was 2.62 though i still think you'll have to get it to export via the udk tools (psk) for every thing to work.

for the leaning i think the problem is again caused from the twisted bones as i expect you haven't modified the COMOffset
    Code:
    	COMOffset=(x=-40.0,y=0.0,z=-36.0)
    set these values to 0 and see what happens, this should then set the CenterOfMass to the base bone of the vehicle rig.

back to the psk export problem have you tried clicking the remove doubles button in blender then export

Leave a comment:

• replied
    so i did the socket for the camera (much easier then i thought it was going to be). i made a new video to show the tilting car/sunk tyres problem (it's slightly fuzzie because i had to convert it to 30FPS, but it still shows the problems clearly).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbMK...yer_detailpage
    (hope that link works). i also did a few tests rotating the car in the skeletal mesh viewer and got some odd results, if i rotate the car so that X is forward(like the scorpian) the axis orientation of the mesh/3D view and the bones are the same (thats when the car slide sideways), if i then rotate the car so it moves forward and backwards(like in the vid) the axis orientatoin of the mesh/3D view and bones are all pointing in different directions. i dont know if it's blenders .fbx exporter or UDK but if it's the exporter i have an idea of how to fix it. you see when i upgraded to the 2.6 series of blender i did'nt like the .3ds importer so i switched the .py files from 2.48(i think) to 2.6 witch fixed the problem, so what i am thinking is if i got a copy of blender when the .fbx eporter worked i could just switch the .py file again fixing the problem. if you think it's worth a try just tell me witch version of blender was the last one with a working .fbx exporter so i can download it to get the rellavent .py file.

any suggestions on the car troubles?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok, so i just watched the socket vid, seems easy enough as all i need for now is the camera socket so i can see the car better. i still have no idea about the car. i will do the socket tomorrow and try to find the problem with the car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X