Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[WALK-THROUGH] Fully Functional Vehicle (my first car).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by geodav View Post
    ps can you use a different video codex the next time firefox doesn't do the h.264 had to use explorer to watch it
    how do I do that?

im wasnt even sure I was doing it right anyway

Leave a comment:

• replied
    told you that you could do it

looking great

ps can you use a different video codex the next time firefox doesn't do the h.264 had to use explorer to watch it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    fiiinally!!! I think I finally worked out how the skeletal controllers work

check this out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=oGJsV3StEA0

so what do you think so far?

it still needs some tweaking here and there but I think it looks quite good, ill still need to tweak the scripts aswell but im getting there

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have already got my wheels spinning correctly, my problem is that I cant get my wheels to rotate around the wheel hubs, you see im trying to make a fully functional car with working suspension and steering rack, ive never seen it done before in UDK but as the thread title says this is my first skeletal mesh.

probably bit off more than I could chew, I appreciate you trying to help though

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I.m not going back to read 13 pages but I had similar problem where the car drove but the wheels didn't spin. I then followed Teglegs tutorial on adjusting the scripts and it turned out my wheels were the wrong size I changed it now they spin
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...1#post29420021

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok thanks, I appreciate it. most of it seems doable it's just getting the front wheels to move around the pivot point of the hub, I must of tried 25-30 different setups/variables.

as always ill keep on trying

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok leave it with me i'll try and make some time in the next few days to set up a test package

Leave a comment:

• replied
    im not sure this is possible. I managed to get the wheel hub to go up/down and turn left/right with the wheel but I couldn't make the wheel turn around the pivot point of the hub. I did have another look at the scorpion but the way they did it definitely wont work for me. I also tried the rear hubs but that was an even bigger disaster, so ive hit a major wall and have tried everything I can think of.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I did but it was spinning round with the wheel (like a stone stuck in the tread) instead of turning with it, think I set them up wrong but I had a look at UDN and think I know how to do the front wheel hubs and front wheels now (I think).

I will have another go.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    if the hub spins then that shows its working just change the axis to Z

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok so I couldn't make it work, all I managed to do was get the hub to spin with the wheel. I think this is going to take a lot of skeletal controls all linked up so im going to go have another look at UDN. I tried looking at the scorpion bone controllers but my setup is going to have to be a lot more complicated

ill get back to you later if I figure anything out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok just as it is in the Scorpion use a SkelControlLookAt + SkelControlSingleBone
    in the lookat set it up just like in the scorpion making sure you have the otherbonespace selected and you name the bone, don't forget to check the axis you might have to paly with them to get it right
    and in the singlebone make sure you have only the rotation box ticked

Leave a comment:

• replied
    good advice as always, I was thinking of starting with the rear wheels/suspension but I don't know witch controllers to use to make the rear wheel lower hub bone move up and down with the upper hub bone and wheel.

any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    tegleg is the man for vehicle code, i'm just the monkey that gets it working in game.
    once your happy with the basic setup eg wheels + code then you can move on with the suspension set up your going to need lots of single bone controlllers with lookats like in the scorpian , remember the starting point is the wheel and work backwards to the chassis, i suggest you do one wheel at a time that way once you have it working you can copy/paste most of it over to the other side and just change names.

a word of warning take your time and double check the bone names for typo's trust me it's very easy ti miss type something and then spend hours trying to find the problem

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok so today I changed "suspension travel" to "0" to see what would happen. now I thought that the position of the body in relation to the wheels would be the same as it is in the skeletal mesh viewer since the suspension is basically locked but the body/hubs were still about 3UU's lower then they should be when the car is stationary. from where the hubs are the wheels are 5 or 6 units lower (for when you get airborne), the wheels should sit at about the height of the hubs when not moving and move up about 10 UU's when going over bumps, witch is a displacement of 15, if the cars ride height was in the middle of the suspensions travel (roughly 7.5 UU's) then the hubs would be slightly above where they need to be in relation to the wheels. it's like the suspension is always fully compressed witch surely cant be right.

any ideas as to why my car is doing this?

I could live with the tyre bounce but I really need to fix the ride height. I have even tried messing with the physical materials, physics asset, and bone controllers but had no luck.

maybe im just being stupid and missing something really obvious

--EDIT--

ok I think I finally solved it (sort of), I dropped the wheel down another 5 units in blender and reimported, I changed the "suspension travel" to 20, the "lock suspension travel" to 20, the "wheel suspension stiffness" to 140, and "wheel suspension damping" to 1.0, I also changed max displacement in the skeletal controls of the wheel bones to 20. after doing all that the hubs seem to be sitting roughly in the middle of the wheel.

so it was all the variables and because I was testing them 1 at a time couldn't get it working, but now that's fixed-ish all I have to do is work out how to get the rest of the skeleton working

--EDIT--

I have just been experimenting with the code, my car is now rear wheel drive instead of four, it can now drift (not very well but still),I have improved the steering and made it faster. obviously it will still need tweaking but it works pretty good.
    here is part of the new code.
    Code:
      //suspension controlled by "buggywheel.uc"
        Begin Object Class=UTVehiclebuggyWheel Name=RRWheel
            BoneName="buggy_RR_wheel"
            BoneOffset=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0)
            LatSlipFactor=3.0
            //LongSlipFactor=2.0
            WheelRadius=32
            SkelControlName="buggy_RR_wheel_control"
        End Object
        Wheels(0)=RRWheel

Begin Object Class=UTVehiclebuggyWheel Name=LRWheel
            BoneName="buggy_LR_wheel"
            BoneOffset=(X=0.0,Y=-0.0,Z=0.0)
            LatSlipFactor=3.0
            //LongSlipFactor=2.0
            WheelRadius=32
            SkelControlName="buggy_LR_wheel_Control"
        End Object
        Wheels(1)=LRWheel

Begin Object Class=UTVehiclebuggyWheel Name=RFWheel
            BoneName="buggy_RF_wheel"
            BoneOffset=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0)
            WheelRadius=27
            bPoweredWheel=false
            SteerFactor=1.0
            LongSlipFactor=4.0
            LatSlipFactor=3.0
            HandbrakeLongSlipFactor=0.8
            HandbrakeLatSlipFactor=0.8
            SkelControlName="buggy_RF_wheel_Control"
        End Object
        Wheels(2)=RFWheel

Begin Object Class=UTVehiclebuggyWheel Name=LFWheel
            BoneName="buggy_LF_wheel"
            BoneOffset=(X=0.0,Y=-0.0,Z=0.0)
            WheelRadius=27
            bPoweredWheel=false
            SteerFactor=1.0
            LongSlipFactor=4.0
            LatSlipFactor=3.0
            HandbrakeLongSlipFactor=0.8
            HandbrakeLatSlipFactor=0.8
            SkelControlName="buggy_LF_wheel_Control"
        End Object
        Wheels(3)=LFWheel

lockSuspensionTravel=20;
        lockSuspensionStiffness=62.5;
    let me know what you think?

as you can probably tell i've been reading tegleg's thread, messing with the code is quite fun

Leave a comment:

Working...
X