Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[WALK-THROUGH] Fully Functional Vehicle (my first car).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    ok lets take it one step at a time
    your wheels and tyres look quite high poly, you want the whole vehicle to be around 15k triangles, once you get it down to that ammount you need to uvw map it.
    now to the bones, the main thing is the alignment eg X=forward Z=up this is a problem in blender as it makes the rig look strange, the bones all point out to the side.
    i think we can get the spring to compress but i'll have to do a little research on that.

as to why i should know the terms of vehicle parts, it comes from spending 2 years at Arborfield and another year in total at Bordon, less said about that place the better, though i think you might have heard about it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by geodav View Post
    are you some sort of vehicle mechanic, your the first person to use the correct terms for the parts of the suspension and i should know
    self trained myself when i was 10 (between 10 and 18 years old i owned 16 motor bikes and 7 cars, and you cant take that many things apart without learning a thing or two). how did you know?, and more interestingly why should you?

1, yes it will work just yours needs to be a lot more complex
    l thought so, just wanted to check because of all the angles of the various parts on m y model where as the one you use in your tutorial looks to be mostly at right angles.

2, yes fbx will work as well BUT you'll need to edit the fbx exporter ply file to stop it adding an extra bone to the root of the armature.
    how would i go about doing that and will modifying the ply file mess up exporting my static meshes or will it have no effect on static meshes?

3, just lower the wheel bones for export, leave all other as they are.
    from that i take it you mean just lower the wheel mesh and bone, no suspension parts or other bones.

4, for vertex groups you might want to watch the weapon videos, i don't touch bone properties or constraints in blender we do all that in UDK.the anim was for the vehicle weapon which spins when fired
    i did watch the weapon rigging tutorial and if thats the one that you mean will doing the same on my car work?
    i only asked about bone properties and constraints is because i did'nt know if it was relavent to UDK or not.
    and i asked about your car animating tut's because at some point i will need to do it to my buggy.

tips,
    1, parent ALL the bones to the base(root) bone
    just like your tutorial says to, "got it".

2, bone placement at the anchor points of the parts, try to think how they move, wheel and brake disc on 1 bone
    thats what i figured from your tutorial, place bones at the anchor/pivot points of single or multiple parts(like your example^)

3, your going to be using the skelcontrollers in the animtree for most of the work (lookat) , take a good look at the scorpian vehicle, even better if you grab a copy of UT3 and check those vehicles as some are quite complex.
    i will google skeletal controllers and take a look at UDN.
    not sure what you mean by grab a copy of UT3, i have a copy for my xbox but i dont think thats what you mean.

4, adding the driver would round it of, can't help much there as it will involve code at which i'm hopeless
    yeah it would roud it off nicley, i just wanted to know if i had the right general idea about attaching the driver to my car using sockets. i'll worry about the coding later(probably check out TEGLEG's vehicle coding tut's and i also have a copy of "unreal development kit game programming with unreal script"by rachel cordone).

don't panic this has got my interest and i'd like to see it (this vehicle) in game
    not panicing yet, and i also want to see it in game (i was thinking of releasing it as a free asset when it's fineshed so that anyone can just drop it in a level and take it for a spin).
    also remember (this vehicle) as you put it is just my first attempt at not only a skeletal mesh but also my first attempt to model a car (it's not perfect but not to bad considering i started with just a cube in the middle of the screen and had no plan as to what i was making till it was finished about 12 hours later),and just think of how complex my next one will be and how awsome the potential possibilites could be for both of them.(especially if i texture them just right)

thanks again

-EDIT-

forgot to ask you, any advice on how to do the suspension, i know i will need a bone at each end but i have no idea about how to get the spring to compress.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    are you some sort of vehicle mechanic, your the first person to use the correct terms for the parts of the suspension and i should know

ok lets start at the top

1, yes it will work just yours needs to be a lot more complex
    2, yes fbx will work as well BUT you'll need to edit the fbx exporter ply file to stop it adding an extra bone to the root of the armature.
    3, just lower the wheel bones for export, leave all other as they are.
    4, for vertex groups you might want to watch the weapon videos, i don't touch bone properties or constraints in blender we do all that in UDK.
    the anim was for the vehicle weapon which spins when fired

tips,
    1, parent ALL the bones to the base(root) bone
    2, bone placement at the anchor points of the parts, try to think how they move, wheel and brake disc on 1 bone
    3, your going to be using the skelcontrollers in the animtree for most of the work (lookat) , take a good look at the scorpian vehicle, even better if you grab a copy of UT3 and check those vehicles as some are quite complex.
    4, adding the driver would round it of, can't help much there as it will involve code at which i'm hopeless

don't panic this has got my interest and i'd like to see it (this vehicle) in game

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by geodav View Post
    oh come on smokey13 i know you've been to my youtube channel, now get over there and check the blender->udk
    i know, i know, im going................

searching/ watching...........

and im back, ha "AUSOME"as always, i cant believe it did'nt occur to me to check your channel (i suppose it's because when i went there before i was only interested in tutorials relating to static meshes and must have missed the car rig tutorial).

so i watched yor vehicle rig tutorial(and downloaded it to my hard drive) and had a few questions.

1. will my car work as i want if i rig it in a similar way? (see bellow for better explaination of what i mean)

2. will the bone position you explain work for exporting to .FBX format? (if i wanted to)

3. you say i should have the wheels bellow the pivot point but my suspension is slightly more complicated and i just want to know if i should move my suspension to a lower position as well as the wheel or just the wheel? (you will see why i ask in the better explanation)

4. have you/are you going to make a tutorial about creating vertex groups and ataching them to bones, a tutorial about bone properties and constraints?(also at the end of your car rig tutorial you said you were going to do one about animating your car but i did'nt see it on your channel, i found the one for vehicle weapons but what i reall need is one for suspension and steering)

ok so onto the better explanation of what i am trying to do, here we go

this is obviously the rear of my car, now i want my car to be fully functional (witch is why i made it anatomicly accurate). as you can see from the pic i colour coded it to help with this explanation. the wheel/ brake disc/ wheel hub/ and the outside end of the driveshaft all need to move up and down with each other as well as rotate (except the wheel hub), both wish bones and middle section of the drive shaft need to move in sync (up and down), and the suspension well both ends need to move towards and away from each other as well as compress the spring whilst staying aligned, also all three parts of the drive shaft and the wheel need to rotate in sync. now onto the front

the suspension and wish bone needs to work the same but the rest is slightly more complicated. so now onto the hard part, obviously the wheel and brake disc need to rotate together but also have to pivot with the wheel hub, for the steeringif you look at the pic i want the steering wheel and rod to rotate witch then moves the middle part of the steering rack left and right witch then moves both ends of the steering rack turning the wheels. and that concludes the explanation.(i know im probably trying to do to much for my first skeletal mesh but im always up for a challenge).

any advice on bone positions or whatever would be much aprecciated.

one last question about the driver (this is just for future reference, at the moment a car with no driver actualy sound like fun). so i was thinking about making him/her as a seperate model in the sitting position. now i know i would have to use a socket to attach the driver to the car in UDk and just want to know if i have got the basic idea. so on my car i would add 3 extra bones 1 on lets say the seat and the 2 on the steering wheel (where the hands go), then for the driver i would have a root bone and bones in the arms so i could have a turn left and right action, but also have a bone in his/her back to attach to the seat and 2 bones in the hands to attach to the ones ot the steering wheel, then i would blend the anim sets in UDK (or something like that). so have i got the basic idea or have i gat it completely wrong?

most udk vehicles will have 1 material comprising of a diffuse map (colour) specular (shinyness) normal (for small details)
    i thought it was something like that but as you know im only a low level modeler and the only reason i ask is that i was'nt sure if materials on skeletal meshes acted the same as stitic meshes, i mean i know that diffuse is for colour, normal maps are for detail (i usually use GIMP's normal plug-in and just convert the diffuse texture to create my normal's), emmesive is for glowing bits, but never knew specular controlled shinyness (i assume it uses some form of colour/shade gradient to determine shinyness/gloss, but im usualy pretty good with gimp so a quick google search on specular maps and that should be easy enough)

thanks for the helpmuch appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    oh come on smokey13 i know you've been to my youtube channel, now get over there and check the blender->udk

most udk vehicles will have 1 material comprising of a diffuse map (colour) specular (shinyness) normal (for small details)

Leave a comment:

• [WALK-THROUGH] Fully Functional Vehicle (my first car).

I started this thread to learn how to make a fully functional vehicle (with working springs and steering rack). as it has turned into almost a full walk through on how to accomplish a fully functional vehicle in UDK I have re-written this first post to help people (beginners mostly) looking for specific information on how to do certain parts find the information they need. "please keep in mind that this was my first attempt at making a skeletal mesh, using skeletal controllers and scripting".

software used:
    blender 2.65/2.66: for modelling/unwrapping the UV and rigging (I started in blender 2.65 and finished in blender 2.66).
    GIMP 2.8: for texturing.
    unreal X editor: for scripting and recompiling
    UDK-2013-02.

people involved:
    SMOKEY13: that's me
    GEODAV: basically tutored me through out. click the link in his signature for his video tutorials (I highly recommend taking a look).
    SPOOF: technical aspects of UDK. click the link in his signature for information about using blenders fbx exporter (I didn't use it in the end but you could if you want).
    for more advanced scripting of your vehicle (gearbox, drifting..ect) take a look at TEGLEG's thread http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...r-own-vehicles

What info can be found on witch page of this thread

Page 1: what I wanted to accomplish, the different parts of the vehicle. info on tri/poly count, and some information on smoothing.
    Page 2: more in depth information on smoothing. lowering the tri count. scaling in blender.
    Page 3: test import of my car as a static mesh. bone positions. bone names
    Page 4: UDK bone limit's. my cars bone overview. information about creating the vertex groups.
    Page 5: no real use full information.
    Page 6: how to fix blenders fbx exporter. general chat about blenders psk exporter.
    Page 7: orientation of my car in UDK after exporting from blender using the fbx exporter. a few pics of my springs compressing.
    Page 8: link to GEODAV's written tutorial on setting up the materials.
    Page 9: some wheel script.
    Page 10: fixing my cars leaning issue. adding the camera socket.
    Page 11: fixing the wheel scripts to accommodate different sized wheels front and back. general chat.
    Page 12: trying to get blenders psk exporter working.
    Page 13: using blenders psk exporter "check mesh" option. fixing ride height and suspension travel (with script).
    Page 14: trying to work out the skeletal controls.
    Page 15: pic of my final animtree and skeletal controllers. (video of my car working in UDK).
    Page 16: the basics for making the steering wheel turn with the wheels. in depth information on weighting the vertices of the springs to the suspension bones to make it function.

you can download my finished car from here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?6k7w8dqwebw4ewx

--EDIT-- I just checked this thread and instead of it having 16 pages it seems to have only have 4 now, so pages 1-4 must be on page 1, pages 5-8 must be on page 2...ect.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////below this line is my original post//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

hi everyone, i am attempting to make my first skeletal mesh but i have no idea how to do it. i have been searching all over the internet for tutorials about adding bones to models in blender but cant find any that actually explain how to add bones and then join them to specific parts of the mesh so i figure why not just ask the experts.
    so this is the model i created (it's not very good)

now what i need is a basic step by step guide of how i should go about adding a skeleton to it. i did find one crappy tutorial where the guy had a basic cube for the cars body and cylinders for wheels and he said something about seperating the mesh into different objects then parent those to different bones or something like that but it was pretty much useless (he did'nt really explain it). anyway i was hoping someone here could either just take a few minuits to write a quick step by step guide, post a link to a decent tutorial, or just tell me where i can find one.(the lack of tutorials about this is terrible).

i also want to know if i can make just 1 UV for the whole car but apply different materials to different parts in blender, so if you take a complete wheel for an example the tyre would be dull and the wheel itself shiny but both using the same UV (i only want to know so i can give it a proper texture).

any help would be aprecciated, thanks in advance
Working...
X