Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[WALK-THROUGH] Fully Functional Vehicle (my first car).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing I'm most interested in and is not widely discussed, is how you got the suspension working. Specifically your bone and IK setup. How it works with the AnimTree. To a lesser degree, I'm also interested how you got the steering wheel to work.

Comment

i'll let smokey answer that but i do know how i would do it, the main thing to remember is that the code steers the wheels and the lookat's control the rest

Comment

ok, to get the steering wheel to work you need to put a bone in the middle of the steering column

then rotate it so the X axis of the bone lines up with the angle of the steering column. after your vehicle is in UDK you use the skeletal control "handle bar", then you set the wheel rotation axis and steering wheel axis in the skeletal controllers properties. if you want to know how I setup the steering rack, well I have no idea how to explain it, the best thing I could suggest is you download my buggy and look at each skeletal control individually.

now to the suspension.
        I started by adding 3 bones like this

this image shows how I weighted the vertices of each ring/coil to the bones

the vertices in image "A" are weighted to the "lower suspension bone", the vertices in image "B" are weighted to the "spring bone", and the vertices in image "C" are weighted to the "upper suspension bone". before you export you need to make the "lower suspension bone" the parent of the "spring bone", so the "spring bone" is the child of the "lower suspension bone", then make your "main bone" the parent of the lower and upper suspension bones. (just a side note, I parented the spring bone to the lower suspension bone so I wouldn't have to add any skeletal controls to it in UDK because it moves and rotates with the "lower suspension bone" because its the child)

after you have imported to UDK you need to set up the animtree and skeletal controllers. first you need to do the skeletal controls for the wheels, hubs and hub mounts. once you have done them you can start on the suspension. first add a "skeletal control single bone" so the lower suspension moves up and down with the wheel hub, then add a "skeletal control look at" and tell the "lower suspension bone" to "look at" the "upper suspension bone" (you will have to change the "pitch" in the properties of the "skeletal control look at" to line it up properly). after that is done you just add a "skeletal control look at" to the "upper suspension bone" and tell it to "look at" the "lower suspension bone" (you will also have to adjust the pitch on this skeletal controller as well. that's it, it should work after that.

another side note: you can weight the spring vertices straight to the "lower suspension bone" in the same way I assigned them to the "spring bone" meaning you wont need the "spring bone" at all, then just set up the skeletal controllers the same and it will work in the exact same way. (so image "A" and "B" would be one image and would look like image "C" but upside down).

"IMPORTANT- test drive your vehicle after you do anything (add controls/ adjust properties) or anything else, that way if something goes wrong you can easily find and fix the problem".

im not good at explaining complex things so I hope you understood all of that, if not just post any questions in this thread and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

I hope this helps anyone wanting to do this type of suspension

ps. i also edited the first post with a basic index saying what information can be found on what page.

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
          oh come on smokey13 i know you've been to my youtube channel, now get over there and check the blender->udk

most udk vehicles will have 1 material comprising of a diffuse map (colour) specular (shinyness) normal (for small details)
          That looks like your land buggy too George

Comment

give over Lex smokey13's model is a lot better than anything i can do.

more is planed but can't say yet, btw smokey13 has done a really good job on this i'm proud of him

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
              give over Lex smokey13's model is a lot better than anything i can do.

more is planed but can't say yet, btw smokey13 has done a really good job on this i'm proud of him
              Lol, it does resemble it though, but a lot more fancy

Comment

Working...
              X