Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May I use the free student version of Softimage to make a non-commercial UDK game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May I use the free student version of Softimage to make a non-commercial UDK game?

Title says everything, is it possible (legal) to publish a non-commercial free UDK game with content (models, animations and stuff) made in the free students version of Softimage 2013?

Because I read somewhere in a forum that doing so would violate the student version licence agreement and therefore be illegal (even if the game is noncommercial and published for free -> educational purposes only, not even if it's for free -.-)
    And if so, would the free Softimage Modtool be an alternative, or would I have the same problem??

Actually my dream would be to create a videogame as a hobby in a small dev team and then one day pay the 99$ licence to Epic games (plus the 25% after the first 50000$)… But since I am a student and I do not have the money to purchase a full licence of Softimage, I will have to make a non-commercial game that I will NOT sell (provided that this is possible without any legal problems)...
    I also thought about learning Blender, since it is open source, but Blender (in my honest opinion) is a pain in the ***! I’ve messed around with it for quite a while now and the UI, the workflow, everything was just a pain in the ***.

I hope somebody can help me =)

If it's a non-commercial release then yes, you can use a student copy for development.

Comment

thank you for you reply =)

Comment

Originally posted by raphu604 View Post
        Title says everything, is it possible (legal) to publish a non-commercial free UDK game with content (models, animations and stuff) made in the free students version of Softimage 2013?

Because I read somewhere in a forum that doing so would violate the student version licence agreement and therefore be illegal (even if the game is noncommercial and published for free -> educational purposes only, not even if it's for free -.-)
        And if so, would the free Softimage Modtool be an alternative, or would I have the same problem??

Actually my dream would be to create a videogame as a hobby in a small dev team and then one day pay the 99$ licence to Epic games (plus the 25% after the first 50000$)… But since I am a student and I do not have the money to purchase a full licence of Softimage, I will have to make a non-commercial game that I will NOT sell (provided that this is possible without any legal problems)...
        I also thought about learning Blender, since it is open source, but Blender (in my honest opinion) is a pain in the ***! I’ve messed around with it for quite a while now and the UI, the workflow, everything was just a pain in the ***.

I hope somebody can help me =)

Although DarthViper is right, you should ask questions related to Autodesk products on the Area, or Autodesk itself!

Comment

Cit.:

"Dear Raphael Beck,

Thank you for contacting Autodesk.

As detailed in attached Software License Agreement, all free student version licenses are to be used only for educational purposes. Educational purposes here indicates purposes directly related to learning, teaching, training, and research and development that are part of the instructional functions performed by a primary or secondary educational institution or any degree-granting or certificate-granting institution or any learning, teaching or training facilities, but does not include commercial, professional or for-profit instructional or other purposes.

In your scenario, although this is a non-commercial UDK game, if it is not directly related to any educational purpose defined above, you are still not allowed to use the free student version for it. One option you could utilize is to use the trial version instead.

For more information, please refer to the attached file, particularly under section 6.3 Affected Data and Exhibit A - Definitions, number 9. Additionally, if you have any further questions regarding these terms, you may also direct your questions to copyright.agent@autodesk.com.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions and we would gladly assist you. Thank you and have a great day.

Best Regards,

Jeffrey Sin
          Global Customer Service & Operations"

Cit. End.

Well THANKS A LOT AUTODESK -.-'

Go**amnit

Comment

They're probably hung up on that you're not making the game for learning. Legally I think you can still do it since it's not a commercial purpose. Considering the reply was from the Customer Service and not their legal team it's entirely possible that they're incorrect.

Comment

Hm. I don't know what to do now, I am so confused :S

Should I directly jump over to Softimage Modtool (which is, apparently, legal to use for non-commercial games and mods, although with some limitations) or should I try and go for it (using 3ds max)?

Comment

I know Blender has a really steep learning curve... But other than that, are there any advantages using Mod Tool over Blender?

Comment

well yeah I think so, the animating seems to be a lot better, uv mapping, modelling in general... But I guess that depends and varies from modeler to modeler...

Comment

Originally posted by M1ndquad View Post
                    I know Blender has a really steep learning curve... But other than that, are there any advantages using Mod Tool over Blender?

Only Blender users go on about how great it is compared to Autodesk products ...........Why do you think there isn't a single professional game/film or animation studio who uses Blender and also why does Hollywood, Dreamworks and Lucas Arts use Autodesk products and NOT Blender ?

The answer is simple, Blender is open source and programmed by people in their spare time, Autodesk on the other hand, Invests tens of millions of dollars on the top programmers in the world, and gets feedback from the film/game and animation industry as to what it should include in future products!

Comment

Ha, same goes for Autodesk users who don't know much about Blender. Only few people have in depth knowledge of both sides to judge properly. Personal preferences aside, each prog has its pros and cons and things it can do better than others.

Originally posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
                      Why do you think there isn't a single professional game/film or animation studio who uses Blender and also why does Hollywood, Dreamworks and Lucas Arts use Autodesk products and NOT Blender ?
                      The answer is simple, Blender is open source and programmed by people in their spare time, Autodesk on the other hand, Invests tens of millions of dollars on the top programmers in the world, and gets feedback from the film/game and animation industry as to what it should include in future products!
                      Spending millions of dollars doesn't make your product automatically being the best on the market.
                      Autodesk products have been industries standard long before Blender was even released respectively before it reached a state of developement where it could compete, and people like to stay with what's working good for them. Plus a paid product gets you that kind of customer support which you will never see for open source software.

Comment

Well, I just really wish autodesk would make an affordable alternative. A few hundred dollars is one thing, but having to pay $6k is really unattainable for most students or hobbyists looking to do more with their hard work than just letting it sit in their portfolio.

Comment

Originally posted by mAlkAv!An View Post
                          Ha, same goes for Autodesk users who don't know much about Blender. Only few people have in depth knowledge of both sides to judge properly. Personal preferences aside, each prog has its pros and cons and things it can do better than others.
                          I'll stick with what the industry uses
                          It doesn't matter how in depth your knowledge of Blender is, the fact remains that it could never compete with Autodesk in a million years :P

Comment

Originally posted by M1ndquad View Post
                            Well, I just really wish autodesk would make an affordable alternative. A few hundred dollars is one thing, but having to pay $6k is really unattainable for most students or hobbyists looking to do more with their hard work than just letting it sit in their portfolio.
                            The thing is, you get loans to go to University, so why not get a loan for the best software in the world today...No game developer, film or animation company is going to employ you when you say you've trained with Blender!

Its like going to Rolls Royce to become a mechanic and saying "Yes, I have experience with Skoda's" Lol

Comment

Working...
                            X