Smoothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoothing

Is it possible to define smoothing groups in UDK, or to define flat faces by angle in UDK. If not what software other than max supports exporting of smoothing groups? Thanks.

Blender should be able to do it as a free alternative. Other than that either Max or Maya.

Comment

Every modeling program other than UDK support smoothing groups. UDK is not a modeling program so it wont be able to.

If using Maya, 3DS Max you can export smoothing groups in the FBX file. I believe Blender can as well.

Comment

Blender can't export smoothing groups. You have to fake it by splitting edges and it doesn't work well when exporting skeletal meshes. I'm just trying to avoid spending $4k on max when I only really need basic modelling features.

Comment

check the latest version of blender (2.65) i'm sure i saw something about SM(smooth groups) in the UDK exporter panel

Comment

I forgot about the udk exporter. I tried it and it crashes udk.

Comment

I believe Blender and the MCampagnini .ase exporter can handle smoothing groups just fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                I believe Blender and the MCampagnini .ase exporter can handle smoothing groups just fine?
                Yes. Assuming he only wants to export a static mesh.

Comment

I tried getting smoothing to work from c4d prime to udk. It works fine going from c4d to apex or max, so it's exporting the information fine, but UDK complains that there are no smoothing groups present during import. I wonder if it is just an issue with Unreals fbx importer.

Comment

Are you importing with Explicit Normals, Preserve Smoothing Groups and Import Tangents enabled?

Comment

Yes, doesn't seem to make a difference either way.

Comment

Working...
                      X