Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3ds Max to UDK texture tiling issue

Hey there Guys,

i recently ran into an issue regarding texture tiling. What i did is, I created a straw texture in photoshop, put it on a mesh and modeled in the details of the texture. for a better visual appeal i set the texture tiling to "u:2 v:1.5".

So far so good.

When i am loading the mesh into UDK, and set the UV coordinates node to the same values, the texture is not correctly applied. it seems to be shifted in some way. even fiddling around with the u and v values doesn't help.

importing the materials form max doesn't help either. the uv coordinate node is set to the default values "u1, v1". Anybody got an idea how to fix this? Or could someone suggest a workaround for that issue?
    I'd rather avoid editing the texture in photoshop. if i wanted to do that, i would have done it in the first place

Hmm, normally when you set your UV tiling with a UVMap modifier that tiling gets embedded to the model when you import it to the UDK. Which means you dont have to touch tiling values in the material and still get what you want. How does it look when you leave texture coordinate node at 1x1?

Comment

leaving the uv coodinate at 1x1 applies the texture as it is, without any tiling. So its not a solution. I didn't apply the uv tiling via UVMap though. Maybe this does the trick. I'll give it a try.

Edit:

Okay, this seems to be the problem. What UVMap does is, it just scales the uv shell, and the result looks similar to what udk does. Is there any chance to set the texture tiling for the texture itself in udk?

Comment

Oh ok, then do that and don't forget to collapse the modifier to Editable Poly before export.

Comment

First, thanks for your help. I don't know if you noticed, but i've edited my previous post. As i said, apparently UVMap tiling is the exact same thing which UDK does if i set the UV tiling with the UV coordinates node. Which is not what i want. I set the texture tiling within the 3ds Max Material Editor for the texture itself. Is there any chance to do the same thing in UDK?

Comment

Texture Coordinate node does exactly what 3ds max's material editor tiling does, and it is texture specific, not general tiling like UVMap modifier. Can you show us your material setup in UDK?

Comment

Okay so i guess my brain mislead me there somewhere. Sure thing. Since I was just messing around the material is pretty basic i just got a diffuse map and texcoordinates node. As you can see here:

Comment

Strange. I can't think of anything else other than suggesting you do the UV mapping all over again and leave the tiling part to UDK. :/ Don't bother applying the texture in 3ds Max since it is a single object with basic material anyway.

If you like i can take a look at it as well if you upload the max file btw.

Comment

In MAX, leave the texture in the material editor at 1 for UV's. Adjust tiling through object UV channel (Use UV Xform for instance). Never tile in the material editor. Never crop or rotate either. Do all that with UV coords. Leave your material at 1....always. WAY less headaches that way.

Comment

The reason I did the texture tiling in 3ds Max is, while modeling I realised that the texture detail is tad bit too big, so I adjusted it, put it on the mesh an modeled the details. If I change the tiling in udk I can't make sure, that the texture lines up exactly with the mesh detail.

So I guess I have to adjust the texture in photoshop and leave the tiling options as they are.

@Jacky: Thanks for your offer, but since I just had a problem with my workflow, I guess thats not necessary anymore.

@Tearl: Thanks, I guess I'll try it that way

Comment

Working...
                    X