Maya or Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maya or Max?

I know, probably an old question. But I'd like to know (from as objective a view as possible) which would suit best for an effective Modelling Workflow for the UDK.

Some say that 3DSMax is more used in the industry, but I think I saw an EPIC Tutorial once, using Maya..?
    Something about exporting Marcus from Gears of War.

But please let me know. Again, this is not intended for flame war. This is a legitimate question as to which one *might* fit best for a UDK workflow.

3ds Max has better polygonal modeling tools than Maya, but Maya has better animation tools.

Comment

None of them is better than the other. The best tool is you. . Just use what you like. However, you do need atleast one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by quytin1992 View Post
        None of them is better than the other. The best tool is you. . Just use what you like. However, you do need atleast one of them.
        You don't need any of them! Just use MS Paint for sprites instead of 3d models! That is obviously the best option. As a matter of fact, I just finished the main character for the world's next FPS Blockbuster. Meet Jerome:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by quytin1992 View Post
          Sometimes true, but 3ds Max actually does have better modeling tools, that's especially helpful for games.

Comment

We were forced to learn Maya for one of our modules... if you value your sanity I'd definitely go for 3DS Max. lol It's true that it has some very usefull animation tools and it has interesting plugins but the rest just falls flat in comparison.

Comment

I wouldn't say that, Maya has its place but it's better at film production than games.

Comment

Originally posted by lovindadonks View Post
                You don't need any of them! Just use MS Paint for sprites instead of 3d models! That is obviously the best option. As a matter of fact, I just finished the main character for the world's next FPS Blockbuster. Meet Jerome:

mate that is awesome I've been looking for something like this for my Boomerang game, can I use your model I'll give you credit for it?

Comment

Basically it comes down to which interface is best for you imo. I do prefer 3d studio max since its what I first learned 3d modelling on, however my teacher this semester absolutely hates 3d studio max and prefers to use Softimage/Maya. Although he did say it's stupid to hate one over the other since each package has it's own special pluses. For example, Maya has a really nice system of handling cloth, where as softimage's ICE tree is ridiculously powerful for creating special effects and the like.

I personally feel like Maya's interface is a bit too cluttered for my tastes, where as 3d studio max and Softimage's seem more tidy to me. And then there's smaller differences like Maya not having a cap tool like 3d studio max (different work around), resorting to global Center of Gravity scaling to align vertices (they call it points) in softimage, and having to apply/switch on off the turbosmooth modifier everytime I want to see what the mesh looks like smoothly subdivided in 3d studio max rather than hitting + - on the numpad for Softimage.

So yeah, if you can somehow test them all out and see which one clicks best for you then I'd recommend that. Or just learn one program comfortably and figure out the small differences with the others later. All the concepts of modelling, texturing, and animating basically remain the same.

Comment

I use Maya and love it. So it definitely comes down to your personal preference. Sure there's some tools in Max that make things easier there than in Maya, but I've grown so used to Maya and have so many custom shelf tools that I really don't lose any time using that over Max.

I'm not saying Maya is better than Max, just that whichever one you get comfortable with should suit you fine as long as you dedicate the time to learn it.

Comment

Also I'd like to point out with 3d that you'll always have the need to learn whatever is around the corner as it's a constantly evolving field ( probably one of the main reasons why I love it, the paintbrush kinda has been learned and mastered for centuries )

For example, there's another 3d package that's going to be coming out soon http://www.fxguide.com/featured/clar...pproach-to-3d/ and it looks freaking amazing. If only because the **** thing can render billions of polygons in realtime with shaders turned on, on an average system (though that's probably best served for film).

I know you didn't ask but if you're going to be doing some organic work like characters I'd recommend learning Mudbox or Zbrush as well. Currently I use Sculptris while I save up for Zbrush, which is basically a free, much-less-features version of Zbrush (basically basic sculpting tools with the super-awesome Dynamesh technology), and you can export those models out as .obj for the other programs which is definitely nice of Pixologic. I do like Mudbox but it's still missing a whole lot of the features included in Zbrush. Not to mention Zbrush is less expensive than Mudbox, and so far every update has been given out for free as compared to Autodesk's steep costs for a yearly upgrade.

Comment

I use both, simultaneously so i win!

Comment

I would say 3ds max is standard for games, but I've seen an environment artist (Nate Stephens) who used Maya, so I guess it's flexible. Still, if you're trying to get hired and not using the same package as what the rest of the company is using and they aren't software-agnostic, they may not be willing to drop the $3k+ for a license plus whatever extra in IT support to accommodate you. So I guess it would be best to pick one but be familiar with the other.

I personally like Maya because that's what I learned 3d on, and I don't quite get how to do things in 3ds max but I'm learning. It seems like, for the most part, there is an analogue or 3rd-party plugin for whatever tool you like in either package though.

Comment

Working...
                          X