Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to use Blender's 2.62 FBX exporter for skeletal mesh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it ok to use Blender's 2.62 FBX exporter for skeletal mesh?

Hi all, I use blender and experienced some problems with updating my animations via Blender's PSK/PSA exporter. When importing PSA animations to my animset, they seem to overwrite existing anims, but it adds none of the new ones.

So I might like to use Blender's fbx exporter. Basic tests worked...actually fine.
    The skeletal mesh has wrong origin orientation but after creating animsets and importing animations, the orientation seems to be fixed. It seems strange so I would like to ask you people for some experience before going any further with my project.

Thanks in advance for any smart advice

its the origin change which causes the problems with the blender fbx exporter, it add a bone to the armature root, if it works for you then thats fine
    the psa exporter works fine if you name the actions like i did for the weapon export.

if you want to use the fbx exporter without the extra bone then you need to edit the fbx.ply file as mentioned here http://krisredbeard.wordpress.com/tu...-player-model/

Comment

The psa exporter has some more issues which annoy me. The worst example is, that my armature must have only 1 root bone. So when I want to do some IK chains to my model, the psa exporter recognizes them as root bones and won't export.

I hope I can use IK skeleton with the fbx exporter. The link you gave me seems to be quite helpful. Thank you very much. It looks scary with so much text but if I can use IKs with blender, it's worth the time.

Comment

PSK/PSA is basically useless because it exports everything including the animation rig and it requires a vertex group for every bone including IK bones.

FBX works fine, but there are some quirks about using it. When you export a mesh, you have to always include a default take or some kind of animation, and when you import into udk, you have to select the option "use T0 as reference pose" under the advanced skeletal mesh options. Also you can't update a skeletal mesh by rightclicking and choosing "reimport skeletal mesh", this will import a new model with the messed up origin location. What you have to do is click the import button and import the mesh normally, but give it the same name and group as the old mesh and it will automatically replace the old mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by F4ll_ouT View Post
          I hope I can use IK skeleton with the fbx exporter. The link you gave me seems to be quite helpful. Thank you very much. It looks scary with so much text but if I can use IKs with blender, it's worth the time.
          You can use IK, but you still need a single root bone and the IK need to be part of that hierarchy. By default the FBX exporter adds a root bone automatically so it should work (there is a fix on Kris's site if you want to provide your own root).

Comment

Well it was mentioned twice now and I followed the instruction on Kris' site to "fix" the FBX exporter of blender. But well, now I get an error message when I want to export to FBX. It's because of the line I had to comment out. Well Kris says just to comment the line out and so I did so why do I get an error message? Can someone tell me? I used the default notepad of windows. Do I need special software or something?

Comment

What's the error? And a random guess is that we're using 2.63, not 2.62

Comment

Oh gawd please tell me it's truly because of 2.62 I can't get used to 63 because of the missing bridge tools. And I don't know how to install/use two blenderversions at once.

The error is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
                File "C:\blah\io_scene_fbx\_init_.py", line 262 in execute from . import export_fbx
                File "C:\blah\io_scene_fbx\export_fbx.py", line 2541
                if groups:
                ^
                IndentationError: expected an indented block

I would like to try with 63 but that means I can't use 62 anymore until I uninstalled the newest blender. So I would like to wait for possible alternatives first.

Comment

Ohh I'm so sorry for bothering you. I fixed it by myself. I also had to comment out the ELSE keyword. Holy shut I just discovered that it was written like that in the tutorial of kris.

Okay guys you helped me so much thank you!!

Comment

your right, tried it on 2.62, 2.63a and 2.64 and get the same error

now i double checked what i done you need to add a # in front of the else on the line above

Code:
                        #for bonename, bone, obname, me, armob in ob_bones:
                        for my_bone in ob_bones:
                            # Always parent to armature now
                            if my_bone.parent:
                                fw('\n\tConnect: "OO", "Model::%s", "Model::%s"' % (my_bone.fbxName, my_bone.parent.fbxName))
                            #else:
                                # the armature object is written as an empty and all root level bones connect to it
                                #fw('\n\tConnect: "OO", "Model::%s", "Model::%s"' % (my_bone.fbxName, my_bone.fbxArm.fbxName))
                    i made the same mistake might start using fbx as well !!!!!

Comment

Hurrah! We're moving with the times

Comment

Seriously guys? You avoided a whole format through three versions of blender because of that?

How did you get any static meshes into udk without fbx?

Comment

Not yet spoof. There is one thing left bugging me. Maybe you guys know the answer to my questions:

1. Kris mentions the FBX converter which can be downloaded for free from autodesk sites. Well...uhm...what for? Okay I UDK doesn't complain about obsolete fbx file anymore. So what? Are there any other advantages?

2. The new UDK beta has a SUPER IMPORVED NORMALMAP WORKFLOW. I mean this one

Is there any way I can use this with blender? I just need to export my fbx file with tangents and binormals (in 3DexpensiveMax). Is there any other software (similar to fbx converter) which allows me to do so?

Originally posted by nabiul View Post
                          How did you get any static meshes into udk without fbx?
                          We're most likely talking about skeletal meshes u know.

Comment

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...ine-in-blender see this, i made a tutorial for that, it works perfectly, and its tested with blender 2.63, but it works the same in 2.62

Comment

Originally posted by F4ll_ouT View Post
                              Not yet spoof. There is one thing left bugging me. Maybe you guys know the answer to my questions:

1. Kris mentions the FBX converter which can be downloaded for free from autodesk sites. Well...uhm...what for? Okay I UDK doesn't complain about obsolete fbx file anymore. So what? Are there any other advantages?

2. The new UDK beta has a SUPER IMPORVED NORMALMAP WORKFLOW. I mean this one

Is there any way I can use this with blender? I just need to export my fbx file with tangents and binormals (in 3DexpensiveMax). Is there any other software (similar to fbx converter) which allows me to do so?

We're most likely talking about skeletal meshes u know.
                              No real advantages to fbx converter other than the built in viewer it has which is useful for quickly checking your fbx files.

You need to bake normalmaps using xNormal to use the improved workflow... I can never get xNormal to work right without major artifacts.

Comment

Working...
                              X