Optional clothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optional clothing?

While my model is coming along nicely, i keep finding new thingies to worry about. Right now the latest Thingy, is this: how might i set up optional clothing(or jetpacks). Would it be possible to make meshes that are partly connected to the player's arms, and partly connected to the player's back?
    while still being an independant mesh?

Thanks

I would make skeletal meshes that are rigged to the same skeleton as your player model.

Comment

What he said. It's how third person weapons work, they're seperate meshes and skeletons, but are animated along with the character. Then they delete the weapon and export the character mesh/ delete the character and export the weapon mesh. A socket on the character is tied to the weapon models root bone via scripting.

Comment

Ooooooh! (light turns on) like making a bag and weighting it to the same skeleton. Though i suppose the player's skeleton one would need to include bones for all possible optionals that needs to be animated

Comment

No, each object has it's own seperate armature and skeleton. You constrain the root bone of each object to a bone on your character skeleton or if it's something like a shoulder mounted weapon, the socket would be offset from the ribcage bone in udk and the root bone of the weapon would follow the socket.

Comment

that makes sense, but i would think one should be able to constrain different bones(in the add-on mesh) to different sockets(on the main mesh)?
            is that maybe possible? if so it should fix all my problems.

my last post was after the first reply only due to internet problems yesterday.

Comment

I don't know about now, but the UDK used to use multiple socket points for weapons, one for the right hand and one for the left hand where it supports the gun. The left hand isn't used anymore, so you're going to have to figure out how to do multiple sockets yourself unless it's in the documentation.

You could have the bones of your attachment as part of your character skeleton, but that means your attachment model would have to be exported with the full character skeleton as well. This is how the heads in unreal tournament are attached and are scripted to pop off on a headshot with the shock rifle. This also means that where your attachment is located is limited to one position only. With the seperate skeleton method you can probably script varying attachment locations. My first use for this would be to try and have ammo pouches that attach in order along your body as you collect more ammo.

Comment

if i read you correctly you're saying that the attachment would have a skeleton that is identical, and synchronized with the player's one?

also someone else has said that you can use a mesh with a base skeleton, plus more bones, and have it play the base anim(with the extra bones following along)
                so i was thinking you might be able to do the same with a base skeleton minus some bones?

Comment

Yes it's the same skeleton; when you export the attachment, you delete the character meshes or use the export selection only option.

I'm not sure about that one, you might run into problems if you tried to delete bones from your master skeleton for the attachment.

At some point you're just going to have to try it.

Comment

Working...
                  X