Polycount and character mesh opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polycount and character mesh opinions.

This is my first enemy character, I have him shown here in progression from 20k,15k and 10k polys. Also with thigh pads, whats your opinion on the pads? Or keep both as variations? I know the lower polys have smoothing errors etc, they were quickly made using decimate.

I know that a normal UT character is about 8k polys, but I think that in this day and age we should be aiming for more, whats your opinion. Game is going to be mostly interiors with little foliage. Or maybe use them for LOD? I don't want to unwrap all three.

15k for a character is just fine. For better performance you can have LOD created, in your case though you're going to need to reduce the poly count by hand rather than using decimation. On characters it doesn't give good topology results.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      15k for a character is just fine. For better performance you can have LOD created, in your case though you're going to need to reduce the poly count by hand rather than using decimation. On characters it doesn't give good topology results.
      Yes either do that or give: http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index....pology_Project that a try. From what I've tried so far it seems to give decent results with minimal manual input. 15k for this character sounds good!

Comment

sorry friends i dont understand what do u man by 15k?u mean 15000 polies.i never can imagine more than 10000 poly bacuase i used to unity engine and now it is a habit for me to work low poly
        another question:for an enemy that will be killed by player is it necessary to use LOD?tnx

Comment

Yes we mean 15000 polys/triangles. LOD depends on how many enemies you have and how big your map is. If you have a couple of enemies on screen at one time, maybe 4-5 it shouldn't be a problem. It's normal these days to have about 1 million polygons on screen at one time.

I have my model down to 14800 tri's with proper mesh topology, but I don't know how well the joints will bend. I need to rig it and test it.

Comment

Originally posted by masoud127 View Post
            sorry friends i dont understand what do u man by 15k?u mean 15000 polies.i never can imagine more than 10000 poly bacuase i used to unity engine and now it is a habit for me to work low poly
            another question:for an enemy that will be killed by player is it necessary to use LOD?tnx
            Yes well the only reason I can see right now to keep a character below 10k polies would be using this service free: http://www.mixamo.com/c/auto-rigger
            I was considering to "cheat" the system by separating the head from the body. That way it would still be possible to have 15k polies for the character. However UDK doesn't seem to support that idea well so it might be more trouble than it's worth. If you rig your mesh manualy definitely allow yourself the 15k polies I doubt anyone will notice a performance impact on modern hardware.

Comment

Blender has a auto rigger called rigify, take a look into it.

Unreal tournament has the head seperate from the body by default, the head pops off if you shoot it with the shock rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by nabiul View Post
                Yes we mean 15000 polys/triangles. LOD depends on how many enemies you have and how big your map is. If you have a couple of enemies on screen at one time, maybe 4-5 it shouldn't be a problem. It's normal these days to have about 1 million polygons on screen at one time.

I have my model down to 14800 tri's with proper mesh topology, but I don't know how well the joints will bend. I need to rig it and test it.

Looking at your topology I'd say you could reduce your polycount by half at least. There are a lot of redundant edge loops between the joints, and you could afford to loose a few of the loops that run vertically down the body, and horizontally along the arms.

Comment

Oh definately, but it's so hard to decide which ones to get rid of and then rework the model to have even loop spacing. I think I'm going to leave it as is since it's easier to remove polys from the UV later than add...I think.

Comment

Well, you could start with the easy parts. Lower leg and belly e.g., just delete every second horizontal edge loop and use the bridge tool to close the hole afterwards.

Comment

Shouldn't need to bridge anything, deleting the loop won't leave a gap with quads.

Comment

Use backspace rather than delete. Remember to also select the vertices and do the same with those.

The easiest way to do that is while you have the edge loop selected, hold control and enter vertex mode. Then go back and remove the edges, then the vertexes.

Comment

Are we talking about the same thing? In vertex mode all you do is hit X and 'delete edge loop'. Unless theres a triangle in the loop there's nothing else to do. You can also edge slide whole loops to rebalance the topology, then delete the supporting ones.

Comment

Good news, I managed to animate him and import a basic walk cycle into udk. Now I'm going to start removing polys and unwrapping. I'll keep you guys updated. It's taken me too long to get to this point, I need to improve my workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by nabiul View Post
                              Good news, I managed to animate him and import a basic walk cycle into udk. Now I'm going to start removing polys and unwrapping. I'll keep you guys updated. It's taken me too long to get to this point, I need to improve my workflow.
                              oh dear yes you might have to improve your workflow a bit. Once you animated (skinned) a mesh you can't change the topology anymore or it'll break the skinning. ;(
                              Well that is IF you even did the skinning because I checked the Blender plugin you mentioned and it doesn't do skinning... it just creates a rig. Either way good luck getting this character to work!
                              Next time maybe try a workflow for characters like: high poly sculpting -> low poly modeling -> UV Unwrap low poly -> NormalMap Projection -> Rigging -> Skinning -> Animating -> Texturing or a varation of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X