Multiple UV Channels And Unwrapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple UV Channels And Unwrapping

After I carefully unwrap a model for best texture coordinate imaging, should this be the uv template image used for channel 1 in UDK? So if this is correct, how should channel 0 be mapped(I hear it is for the object, well ya! then how should it be mapped?)? Also UDK supports up to channel 3. What would some uses be for these other channels? Been confused on this for awhile, need help or reference plz..

If you want to have just one UV layout for textures and one for lightmaps (the 1 channel in UDK in this case) the uvs for that channel need to be laid out in the0-1 space only with no overlapping and as few amounts of UV islands as you can get away with. A bit of padding between them is also needed. Look up lightmapping in the UDN to understand it.

As for multiple UV maps, having more than 1 for the textures allows you to give parts of your object more UV space over another. So if you have a door and wall mesh, you would want the wall to take up the most UV space since it's bigger and would require more resolution, so you make it bigger in the UVs.

But now you want the door to look nice as well. You would make a second UV channel and have the door take up more space. You can then use a texture coordinate node in your material to decide which UV coordinates to use, allowing you to give more resolution to both objects.

Comment

It's starting to make more sense...
      1....An object will light better when splitting uv's over more area with more than 1 uv template
      2....An object, eg. tree may need channel 0 to unwrap the object textures properly with overlapping, then a channel 1 unwrap for non-overlapping lighting
      3...So when painting a character, it paints on the uv template through overlapping or non-overlapping uv's and would fall in one of the above!

Also I noticed with the UDK Browser characters in the skeletal mesh menu that they are all using channel 0. I cannot seem to find the light map coordinate index in the skeletal mesh editor. So I take it that it is ok to use just the channel 0 if there is no overlapping. I was reading somewhere that channel 1 should be used, and this is where all the confusion started for me???????????
      If having to use channel 1 then a duplicate could be made of channel 0 if, there is no overlapping.....

Comment

Dynamic objects such as skeletal meshes do not use lightmaps. Lightmaps means they are pre-calculated, so not dynamic.

If you regular uv map does not have overlapping, you can use that as your lightmap.

Comment

Skeletal Meshes dont use lightmaps but static meshes do.
          In your 3d program UV channel 1 would be channel 0 in UDK and in your 3D program UV channel 2 would be UV channel 1 in UDK

Comment

Great, thx for the help on that. Finally making sense of it. I can see now in the settings that's how it is, dynamic(skeletal meshes) and static(static meshes).....Should be able to get much better results now with good unwrapping techniques, instead of using the generate uv's all the time...

Comment

Working...
            X