Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

general workflow questions, tips and ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

general workflow questions, tips and ideas.

so for the past month and a half, ive been attempting to develop my own workflow, to some sucess. but nobody really talks about work flow, and if they do, i have not found it. so since a lot of people do this professionally here, i want your input into what you guys do. im just getting started here and i am taking notes and such, doing tutorials and stuff like that and i have learned a lot, but there are gaps in what i want to know. so here is the question for you guys. what programs do you use to model, texture, animate and ect. how do you use these programs to your liking and what do you find yourself using most of the time. plus i want to know why you do things the way you do and not any other way. im not here to copy anybody, but you guys might do something better then i do. so for example, i use maya for the bulk of my modeling, texture basic textures using zbrush with minor details and touchup in photoshop and then use xnormal to bake everything together. in addition my animation i plan to use maya as well (havent gotten into animations so far yet). so please, go ahead and lay your knowledge out here. thanks all.

You really can't find anything talking about what programs people use?

Comment

It all depends on what you're used to working with.

My personal workflow is to gather lots of reference and with a layout in mind, block out a rough idea of the layout in UDK using BSP and static meshes that are similar in size or shape to what my final models will be. Any other shapes that aren't in UDK I'll block out using maya (rough shapes, no detail). I'll then apply simple textures to everything to get a color pallet I the level so I have a general idea of what to do.

I export everything from UDK to Maya as an OBJ and use it as a size reference for the scene and model accordingly.

I use Maya as my only modeling/animating programs. Depending on the complexity of the mesh, I'll UV map models in either Maya itself or with Headus UV Layout, import the UV mapped model from Headus, and transfer the UVs from that model to the original one (to keep the edge normals).

For normal mapping, I'll either get something together in ZBrush or Mudbox, or I'll edit the texture some in photoshop and import that to CrazyBump to create my normal map from the texture. I don't apply textures in Maya because I'll be rendering in UDK so I import the model and it's textures, create a material, and apply that to the model so I can see it in game. If I need to make any adjustments to the texture or the model, I will do so in photoshop or Maya, reexport the texture/FBX file with the same name, then simply right click the mesh/texture and choose reimport. Everything else is really just fine tuning and tweaking.

Comment

Originally posted by JessieG View Post
        It all depends on what you're used to working with.

My personal workflow is to gather lots of reference and with a layout in mind, block out a rough idea of the layout in UDK using BSP and static meshes that are similar in size or shape to what my final models will be. Any other shapes that aren't in UDK I'll block out using maya (rough shapes, no detail). I'll then apply simple textures to everything to get a color pallet I the level so I have a general idea of what to do.

I export everything from UDK to Maya as an OBJ and use it as a size reference for the scene and model accordingly.

I use Maya as my only modeling/animating programs. Depending on the complexity of the mesh, I'll UV map models in either Maya itself or with Headus UV Layout, import the UV mapped model from Headus, and transfer the UVs from that model to the original one (to keep the edge normals).

For normal mapping, I'll either get something together in ZBrush or Mudbox, or I'll edit the texture some in photoshop and import that to CrazyBump to create my normal map from the texture. I don't apply textures in Maya because I'll be rendering in UDK so I import the model and it's textures, create a material, and apply that to the model so I can see it in game. If I need to make any adjustments to the texture or the model, I will do so in photoshop or Maya, reexport the texture/FBX file with the same name, then simply right click the mesh/texture and choose reimport. Everything else is really just fine tuning and tweaking.
        wow, you sir just about answered a siginificant portion of my questions in this statement. that is exactily what i was looking for.

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
        You really can't find anything talking about what programs people use?
        no i can, but it leaves gaps and they dont explain why that well. the stuff i find is more about maya vs 3d max or mudbox vs zbrush. i already have a decient workflow, or so i believe, but one thing i have learned in the service is there is always a better way of doing things and the guy above me just revealed a new way of doing things and it makes more sense to me then some of the other ways i have heard. plus, he mentioned headus, which i never heard about until now, so im gonna go and do a nights worth of research on it to see everything about it plus see simmilar products out there. its like a ball of yarn. once you find an edge, then you can pretty much unwind it from there.

Comment

Headus is a bit pricey (I went with the hobbyist version) but its definitely worth the investment in time saving alone.

Comment

Originally posted by JessieG View Post
            Headus is a bit pricey (I went with the hobbyist version) but its definitely worth the investment in time saving alone.
            im not too worried about it. i got the trial version to test it out and when i start getting my stipen from the va later this year, then i can get it. but so far i am impressed with it.

Comment

Working...
            X