Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Free 3d paint software for models

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free 3d paint software for models

Does anyone know of any free to use 3d painting tools for models. I haven't used Blenders paint yet, but judging from what I have seen it can't be that good.??? I thought Sculptris would be good, but would be transformed to triangles from Blender and back again.

Sculpting and painting (texturing) are two vastly different things.

What exactly are you looking for?

Comment

I don't know of any free program that allows you to paint directly onto a model rather than onto a texture.

But there are a lot of options otherwise, Zbrush, Mudbox, Mari, Bodypaint, 3ds Max, Modo, Photoshop

Comment

What's so bad about blender? It might have a limited feature set compared to some professional progs but it's a good start - and you can paint both, plain colors and textures onto the model.

Comment

http://www.blendtuts.com/texture_painting

Covers the basics, but there should be tutorials that cover painting with a texture source too.

Comment

Great thx everyone, Looked for an hour! I guess Blender is the free to use one! The next up I found for $100 was 3D Coat. I haven't looked too much into it, but looks like a decent solution for me so far...

Comment

Here's another good tutorial: http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/10/...-layer-add-on/

Comment

not tried but i've heard you can in sculptris http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

Comment

Zbrush is fairly cheap compared to the price of Max or Maya, and you get free upgrades. I suggest to save up for it if you're serious about development.

Comment

A sculpting program is not a replacement for a modeling program, and is mostly just used for normal map creation and can also be used for texturing (I don't know if ZBrush can, but MudBox can).

Comment

Regarding ZBrush, I've been highly impressed by Pixologic and their program over the years. It's not free, but can be used for modeling, UV mapping, texturing, retopologization, and normal/displacement baking. Their UV mapping and retopo tools aren't that great, though they have plans to offer a retopo plugin in the near-to-distant future. I feel that their latest version is good enough that you don't require another program for modeling purposes, but you'll still need another program for rigging, animation, and export.

Comment

Working...
                      X