Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poly limits for UDK?

i was wondering if any1 knew that poly limits for use in UDK,
    im currently modeling a high poly character for use in unreal and animation and the poly count is currently 75k and i was wondering if i should reduce or keep it as it is for use in games.

15 - 25k should be a more suitable poly count for next gen games.

Comment

75k is too much. Try to reduce it. There isn't really a max poly count, but for something animated 75k is a lot.

Comment

You're wrong darth, there is a max, because virtually anything you import above 65k will come in corrupted.

Comment

For a single object you need to import, but not directly within UDK itself. And you can create a character out of multiple parts if needed when parts don't import properly.

Comment

well im just asking cause iv modelled a male and female character and each are at around 75k for animation purposes, i was just wonder so when i reduce the poly count i know what the target poly count should be.

Comment

Around 20k should be enough. Remember you can get details into the normal map. And if you're doing DX11 you can add tesselation.

Comment

Depends what context you're going to use your mesh. Hundreds of them? A dozen in multi-player? Or a single cinematic character?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoof View Post
                  Depends what context you're going to use your mesh. Hundreds of them? A dozen in multi-player? Or a single cinematic character?
                  few for story and a few for cinematic

Comment

Nathan Drake from uncharted is around 30k triangles with no LOD's. That is including all of the necessary loops to make his facial animation convincing. Good starting point for character tri limits. Will your game have more or less characters on screen? Will it be for consoles? iOS? PC? Will it be third person or first person?

Comment

Working...
                    X