Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Multisub vs unwrap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multisub vs unwrap

I modeled watchtower so i need to texture it question is do i use single 2048x2048 texture and make diffuse or use multisub option there are some concrete parts metal and i figured out that i can use 3 difrent 512x512 and 256x256 textures that i also use on other static meshes.

So question is what is best workflow to texture model for UDK use single texture or use some smaller 512x512 and 256x256 textures.

If the you can use some materials from other objects on that one, multi sub may be a better option to reduce the amount of materials used, but go easy on it because multiple materials on objects can be expensive as well. I'd say go with whichever option is easier for you and gives you the results you want and make changes later if performance becomes a problem.

Comment

Yeah i have some walls and barriers that use same concrete material.
      When using multiple material is it ok to scale faces across uvw windows to achieve tiling ?

Comment

Hi Raptor. As far as your UV'ing is going, are you getting a texture and then making the UV's Fit it? As it should be the other way round.

If you can, just map it very well then export a uv map to photoshop and apply textures in that. If theres just too much detail, then have a structuremain_d and a structuredetail_d material. But you shouldn't need more than that.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by RaPtOr_v9600 View Post
          Yeah i have some walls and barriers that use same concrete material.
          When using multiple material is it ok to scale faces across uvw windows to achieve tiling ?
          For your texture maps you can go across the UV boundaries, but you need a second UV channel for your lightmap, which can't go beyond the UV space.

If your object is not going to be viewed up close, you could make it all in one map. Otherwise I'd just use multi/sub-object material and reuse the materials you already have.

And it's best to avoid using a 2048x2048 texture anyways

Comment

I don't know limitations of unreal engine last time when i was modeling props it was for Q3 engine, replays from you all really helped, so i can go out of the box that is good multi sub is also great to work with, so thnx for replays.
            here is shot with tower in game just small test map to test lightning and collision of models

Comment

Is there any option in UDK to use max - min slope when painting on landscape ?
              And what is better to use layer blend or terrain layer weight ?

Comment

Common people i need answer, is there option to control slope when painting on landscape, and how to set near and far textures ?

Comment

Near and Far textures are done in the material editor, and I don't think you can control slope, unless you make a fancy complex shader.

Comment

I know that is created in mat editor but how, anyone have any link or example how to do it.
                    Thnx

Now im getting some lag when painting height or material layer on landscape, yesterday worked fine, but when i started UDK today i got lag. When i load map im getting
                    Warning Landscape_1 Landscape (Landscape_1) has overlapping collision components at (378, 378).
                    Anybody know any solution ?

Comment

Well to get rid of error Warning Landscape_1 Landscape (Landscape_1) has overlapping collision components i exported heightmap and all layers then creted new terrain and imported heightmap and all mat layers, but in the process i lost all of my foliage layers.

Comment

There's new docs about using height and slope for landscape materials. Search there.

Comment

Working...
                        X