Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Iphone) Good Poly count for a Main character ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Iphone) Good Poly count for a Main character ??

hi everyone , i'm making a a third person shooter for iphone and i want to know if my character is to heavy to being used on the mobile platfrom

like you can see the pictures below ,the poly count is almost 5000 triangles (with only the hair that missing)

is it okay ?? for infos ,my game is like gears of war or shadowgun recently( without the cover system xD )
    which means a small map and a amll number of ennemies on screen (3/4 max)
    my priority is that he run even on a Iphone 3gs .

PS: any other advice on the general poly count for the environment,bones limit ,texture size .... to run smooth on a mobile phone are highly appreciable.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 3gs is extremely low-powered compared to the later versions, I'd avoid it.

Comment

i don't see why you say that , it uses the same GPU as the Iphone 4 ,maybe a low CPU but we can have great games on it
      Shadowgun epic citadel ,infinity blade .... all runs very smooth on the 3GS
      i wan't to make a game that most of users can play.

Comment

Most Apple users buy the newer phones, the 3GS is two generations behind

Comment

I would go between 1000 and 2000 tris. That character already got too many tris. The trick is to check the silhouette of your character. If at a certain distance (size of the phone screen) it looks good then it will be enough. Between 1000 and 4000 you wont see a difference at that size. Good luck!

Comment

thanks everyone for your replies i will try to optimize it and keeping a good silhouette.

Comment

This may or may not help but I had put a character in that was 6000 Polys and the game was slowing down and that was without textures or animations. When it comes to models you can push a lot of detail in textures so focus on sil of the model and then texture the hell out of it.

@ darthvipers comment, 3GS may be out of date but not everyone constantly upgrades (I for one still have one!), but more importantly if it can run on 3GS it can run on 4, IPad 1 & 2 Nd most likely and new interactions.

Comment

actually it will help me a lot since i don't have (yet) an apple account to test by myself
                are you talking about 6000 quads or tris ?? was it a scene with the character only or in a rich enviroment ?

pretty weird ,a game like infinity blade use models like 10000tris and still run smooth on the 3GS o_o

Comment

Working...
                X