Using a layer as a mask in Potoshop Cs5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a layer as a mask in Potoshop Cs5

I've been looking at tutorials all morning and I can't seem to find what I need. I have a black and white layer in photoshop, and I want to apply it as an opacity mask to the layer above, which is a rendered out set of grey clouds with noise to look like silver. I appreciate any help with this. It is probably something simple that I am just over looking.

In Photoshop, you could grab your white by using the magic wand or select by color range. Then use that selection on your cloud layer to pull out the shape. Or you could put your black and white layer above the cloud layer and set the blend to multiply.
    If you are using the image in UDK and need the alpha, you'll need to either create an alpha channel for it or use another color channel to pull the info for alpha. I mean, if your clouds are just grey scale, use only 1 color channel for the clouds and another for your alpha info...then you avoid saving a 32 bit image

Comment

In the layer panel there's a button on the bottom for adding a mask to the current layer--click that, then go to the channels tab, the mask should be there along with the color channels, you can then click on it and paste whatever black and white mask you want to use.

Comment

Thanks, I tried using the wand and select by color range, but my design has a lot of fade off to it and those made it look kinda bloated. Setting the blend to multiply looks really good, but it doesn't give opacity to let the layers bellow show through the nondesign. Also, How do I merge the layers without losing the blend?

How do I paste in a mask? It doesn't give any options that sound like that.

Comment

Ctrl+E will merge layers down...I think I'm confused on what you are after really. Can you post something to help clarify?

Comment

Originally posted by skwisdemon666 View Post
            How do I paste in a mask? It doesn't give any options that sound like that.
            Go to the Channel tab, there should be a channel there for your mask, select it, and then turn on visibility (the eye) for the mask, then turn off visibility for RGB, then you can just CTRL+V to the mask, then turn on visibility to RGB and off visibility to the Mask and the mask will be applied, and can still edit the mask.

Comment

I want to use this as opacity for another layer, or for itself. I want the black areas to show the texture beneath.

Comment

Ok, I got it by copying the layer into the mask. Thank you guys so much.

Comment

Working...
                X