Importing textures to UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing textures to UDK

I know how to import textures and turn them into materials, I just got a weird question. The original texture that you have, lets say still on the desktop, can you erase it or is it better to keep it.

If you ever need to change it then you'll need to keep it.

Comment

You can export textures back out of UDK in a pinch as well.

Comment

For organizational purposes you should create a Source Textures folder and a UDK Import Textures folder. You always want to keep the original so that you can make adjustments if need (assuming your creating the textures).

in all honesty I can't think of a good reason to get rid of a texture anyway, if it's good you can reuse it for other projects.

Comment

Like "YakZSmelk" said keep it.. The content browser has a reimport button which is soo handy for when you make changes! Meaning you don't have to go through the entire import process again. But you need to make sure the original file name and location is the same or you will have to relocate it.

Comment

As TroyMcClure has said, even if you were to delete the original source, the uncooked package will also contain the original source inside itself. Thus you can export textures out from an uncooked package.

Comment

I delete all my source files (png, tga, fbx) except psd's

Comment

You CAN delete them if you want as long as you saved the package you put them in in UDK.

My method is usually create an external folder for my UDK projects with separate folders inside of it for Textures (TGA files), PSD Files, and FBX files. That way, after importing textures into UDK, if I notice something is off on the texture or I want to change something, I just open the PSD, make changes, and overwrite the old texture file (the exact source file imported into UDK) in my textures folder. Since the original texture is still there, just updated, I can simply right click on the texture in the content browser and pick reimport texture to update it in UDK instead of deleting the old one then reimporting the new version.

Comment

Working...
                X