Multiple Light-Map Channels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Light-Map Channels?

I have modeled a tree in Blender 3D and have created all my texture maps and light-maps and imported it as an .fbx into UDK. Problem is the lighting quality isn't that great because each section of the tree in the light-map is super small. I'm wondering if UDK will allow more than 1 channel for light-maps?

-Dr3d

re-check your uvmap channel for light-maps, if the mesh is not unwrapped as described in UDK-Lightmapping page, then you'll get problems. by the way, what is the size of your light map?

Comment

The size of my light-map is 1024x1024. I just bumped it up to 2048x2048 and I'm gonna give that a shot. I do have light-maps in game, they just don't seem to be shadowing properly for my tree after I build my lights. I only seem to have issues with trees and no other custom meshes. I'll go ahead and try a build on Production aswell, since I was building on High.

*EDIT* - Alright so I bumped the light-maps up to 2048x2048, I might actually be able to knock them, back down to 1024x1024. I increased my light-map resolution in the mesh view from 32 up to 256 since 64 and 128 weren't good enough. I built my lighting on Production with Lightmass, and everything seems to look pretty good.

Comment

I'm a little confused. Did you bake lightmaps in another program and add them to your shader? Or do you let lightmass create the lightmaps?
        When lightmass bakes a lightmap it uses the resolution setting for the mesh, right? In other words, with resolution set to 32, your lightmap will be 32x32. So I get confused when you say you bumped the lightmap resolution to 2048x2048 and then mention setting the resolution up to 256.
        Makes me think I have the wrong understanding of how lightmaps work...

Comment

I think he has set his second UV layer in blender to a 2048x2048 image am I right? If I am then you don't need to do that mate, just unwrap the model onto the second layer and export. The lightmap resolution in UDK makes its own rules up.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Stormy View Post
            I think he has set his second UV layer in blender to a 2048x2048 image am I right? If I am then you don't need to do that mate, just unwrap the model onto the second layer and export. The lightmap resolution in UDK makes its own rules up.
            Yeah that's exactly what I did. That's why I figured I'd be able to knock it back down to 1024x1024 because it probably didn't make much of a difference. Thanks for the info that the light-map size in the modeling package shouldn't matter. I'll go ahead and check it out later and see if my results are still close to what I'm looking for.

Comment

@Black_Stormy is right, you don't need an image for second uv layer (lighmapping layout). I guess, you are mixing up Light mapping with AO.
              AO map can be baked on your first uv layout (if its within uv bonds) and is utilized for texturing .

Anyway, do post your both uv layouts, for better understanding and help.

Comment

Alright, I am not utilizing an AO map. I've done multiple meshes before and have gotten them to work properly this same way. I think I'm just thinking to hard. Here are pictures of everything.

Mesh:

Click HERE if image doesn't load.

UVW Texture Sheet 1 & 2 (These areboth 1024x1024):

Click HERE if image 1 doesn't load.
                Click HERE if image 2 doesn't load.

Light-Map Sheet On The Second UV Channel (Doesn't have a texture applied, because it's not suppose to. This is also 1024x1024):

Let me know if you'd like in-game before/after compiling images. I'll have to import these new edited files I did files (which is why I don't have in in-game image at this moment).

Comment

Lightmap UV layout looks like a mess. Where does all these square uv islands (those that are overlapping on the first diffuse texure) belong to? Are these 'leaf' sheets, too? You'll need to keep a certain space between each uv island to prevent lightmap bleeding. On your pic they're so close to each other that you'll probably need a 2048² lightmap. Have a read trough this for more information: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Light...inates%20Index

Regarding your first diffuse map, why don't you make a single small texture with overlapping uv islands for the leaf sheets? You are wasting a lot of texture space there if you just repeat the same little leaf texture over and over again.

Comment

Yeah the little squares are leaf sheets. And I was thinking about making the larger ones overlap but I wanted to throw in a variety texture between each set without adding extra stuff in the shader. So each of those large leaves are actually different tones and values. That is a good idea though, as I want to keep the leaves on their own sheet so I can set there lighting model to use Non-Directional. When I create more trees I'll definitely optimize my leaf sheet so each tree can run off that one texture, same with the bark sheet. I'm not having any issues with light-map bleeding surprisingly (At least none that I've noticed), I thought the same thing too. But I know were you're coming from. I'll have to redo the light-map sheet so everything fits properly and each leaf are not different sizes.

I'll post an in-game screen shot of what that tree, as is, currently looks like in a map built with production lighting. I'll possibly post that later in the day though after I wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr3d1337 View Post
                      I'll post an in-game screen shot of what that tree, as is, currently looks like in a map built with production lighting. I'll possibly post that later in the day though after I wake up.
                      Alright Here are two screen-shots of the Tree in game built at Production Quality. I will list the Mesh property settings at the bottom:

Trees in game as they'd look from perhaps a small hilltop or something (looks decent).

Trees in game from ground level (player view, looks kinda crappy).

Click HERE if image doesn't load

Settings:
                      - Leaf texture is set to Blend_Masked and MLM_NonDirectional
                      - Mesh is set to use a Light Map Resolution of 256
                      -
                      Built lighting at Production Quality with Lightmass

Those are the only settings I've changed on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X