Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this model have too many polys to be used in the UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ployer View Post
    Some friends and I are trying to learn about UDK and make a game, while we almost all have programming experince we are lacking in modeling/animation type areas. So I have been looking at TurboSquid and found some sweet models that I would love to use for the main characters in the game. But I am concerned that have to many poly's to use in the game. So I was hoping I could get some feedback from the knowledgeable folks here!

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...bot-bot/625939

So any feedback you guys could give would be fantastic.
    65,000 tri's the maximum UDK can Import without serious compromise of the mesh.........125,000 tri's and the mesh would be torn to shreds!

Comment

Originally posted by ankangronto View Post
      Since a few releases ago UDK now supports more then 65535 vertices
      I don't know where you got that from so I just tested it in UDK 2012 March and you are wrong!

Comment

Yes, static meshes are restricted to 65535 vertices. I think he is referring to skeletal meshes which have been improved since Feb 2011 Beta.

Comment

Originally posted by mAlkAv!An View Post
          Yes, static meshes are restricted to 65535 vertices. I think he is referring to skeletal meshes which have been improved since Feb 2011 Beta.
          Well, I just tested a skeletal mesh with 80,000 poly's and it looks all messed up in March 2012 build.......Improved yes, but not to 125,000 poly's.......It would have serious performance issues if it ever imported!

Comment

I tested a skeletal mesh with 70k vertices (140k polys, unwrapped) as well as one with 150k verts and they did import fine. You might have run into precision errors due to the mesh size.
            Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a good idea but it's possible.

Comment

I tested a skeletal mesh with 70k vertices (140k polys, unwrapped) as well as one with 150k verts and they did import fine. You might have run into precision errors due to the mesh size.
              Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a good idea but it's possible.
              Have you then got your stats window up and seen your fps ?

Comment

Any insight?
                For your information, I always check fps and performance stats - fps with a single 70k vert mesh are the same as with 2x 35k vert meshes f.e.

*still searching my quote for where I'm saying that a 100k vert/poly mesh causes no performance impact*

Comment

Any insight?
                  For your information, I always check fps and performance stats - fps with a single 70k vert mesh are the same as with 2x 35k vert meshes f.e.

*still searching my quote for where I'm saying that a 100k vert/poly mesh causes no performance impact*
                  So with that in mind then, (a performance cost) telling someone new to UDK that using a 125,000 poly static or skeletal mesh is a OK and good advice?

Comment

What? Where did you get that from?

He only said it was possible to do, not that it would be good to do so.

Comment

Geez, you people trying to import objects with more than 60,000 vertices are insane ! You know, you could always set up your own lighting and render those models in your 3D application/renderer of choice. Ya'll need to stop being so lazy and optimize your models!

Anyway, Blender has a huge community behind it, supported by schools, students, and professionals. It actually has some features that premium packages lack (like a fluid dynamics simulator). Don't be withdrawn simply because it has the open-source tag - that has been Blender's strength this whole time and why it will continue to grow. Note that the Blender -> UDK workflow may be different, but once you learn it, you'll be able to crank out content at a decent speed.

ZBrush is a very worthwhile tool to supplement your 3D package of choice. It excels at high poly modeling and texture/normal map creation. However, you can not create characters with bone systems and animations in it and export those to UDK.

Comment

Whats wrong with Blender? Many good things have been made with it! The UDK website even has a video of Blender imported assets. See here.

Comment

Working...
                        X