Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this model have too many polys to be used in the UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this model have too many polys to be used in the UDK?

Some friends and I are trying to learn about UDK and make a game, while we almost all have programming experince we are lacking in modeling/animation type areas. So I have been looking at TurboSquid and found some sweet models that I would love to use for the main characters in the game. But I am concerned that have to many poly's to use in the game. So I was hoping I could get some feedback from the knowledgeable folks here!

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...bot-bot/625939

So any feedback you guys could give would be fantastic.

111,869 polys? Ya...little bit too much methinks. Try reducing the poly count

Comment

It's PERFECT! ....as long as there's nothing else in the scene
      Seriously, it's a nice model, but pretty heavy on triangle count. More than that, how many textures are there? Will you be able to optimize both the mesh and the textures? I'm pretty sure that with a little effort on the model and textures, you can have a very nive mech. Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

So what would be the ideal poly count? Could you also suggestion how i could learn how to lower the poly count? I didn't make this model ( and have not purchased it yet either ) and really dont know much about 3D modeling.

Sorry I am really new to the whole 3d model thing!

Comment

Hmmmm...ideal poly count? You'll get a dozen different answers for that! There are so many factors in that decision. How geometry heavy is your level? How many other SK's (like the mech) will be in the scene? How many textures will the level use (memory)?
          Some people will suggest 3k triangles, others will say go 30k triangles for your main actor. I bet you could get away with 10-12k depending on the overall environment. I'm not aware of a specific formula to figure it all out though.
          For optimizing a model...well, you wouldn't really optimize that model. You'd build a low poly model based on that one. Then you'd bak normals and textures down to the low poly model. That way, you get all the detail from the high poly model without all the triangles. There are a LOT of tutorials online for pretty much all modeling software packages. Personally, I work in 3DS Max (certified professional) on a daily basis. I find it very easy to use for solid surface models.

Comment

Ah well the good news is I understand what you are saying! Now i have been thinking about getting into modelling for sure and I understand that 3DS Max is pretty awesome, however it also costs $3500 ( at least from what I remember ). I know Blender is free, but it is Open Source. I have seen ZBrush costs around $700 but I am not sure how it stacks up against 3DS Max.

Now taken into account that I don't really have more than a $1000 to probably throw at a modeling package what would you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by ployer View Post
              Now taken into account that I don't really have more than a $1000 to probably throw at a modeling package what would you suggest?
              I'd suggest Blender. Why? Because a week from now you may realise that modelling isn't for you and you've wasted money that could've been spent outsourcing the work.

And if modelling is for you, you can always purchase another application.

I know Blender is free, but it is Open Source
              Erm... the 2.6 series is an example of the very best open source you'll ever see.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoof View Post
                I'd suggest Blender. Why? Because a week from now you may realise that modelling isn't for you and you've wasted money that could've been spent outsourcing the work.

And if modelling is for you, you can always purchase another application.

Erm... the 2.6 series is an example of the very best open source you'll ever see.
                While I don't really have any expiernce with Blender or any other 3d Modeling package, working on business application software development I have found most open source projects to be poorly implemented and at best a collection of parts thrown together haphazardly. Blender however may be the exception to what I have seen however.

Comment

Blender is a good solution for many folks. Don't discount it until you try it. Likewise, if you want to try MAX, you can download it for free from Autodesk's site and try it for 30 days. All features available.

Comment

just by the way, since I was already told wrong on this once here: UDK only supports 65535 vertices for import per mesh.

Comment

@Ployer
                      nowdays, open source is giving comm apps a tough competition. I started using blender in jan 2011, now i am using blender with productivity and very much comfortable using 3dsmax. blender taught me everything there is to 3d , and the experience helped me to transit from blender to 3dsmax.

Give it a try.

by the way, you can always create a low poly mesh from the Highpoly Mech. and it is very easy to do so.

Comment

Blender. Definitely Blender. The only downfall to blender is that if you learn Blender it's hard to make the switch to MAX or Maya because you have to go back to noob status for a few months while you get your head around the new tool. I hear that max is better because is creates models faster through the use of all the hardcore tools it has. Blender is kinda slower going but I feel you have more control over the mesh. In fact because of all the different tools you use it felt like I never actually touched the model. Working with Max is like carving a statuette by throwing javelins at it whereas blender is like shaping clay with your hands.

But past the fanboyism, give blender a go and then also get the free demo of Max and give that a go. Whichever one suits you better is the one you should use.

Comment

Correct Haldolium...though you can import more triangles than that, you loose certain abilities and the precision gets jacked up. We had some terrain pieces we imported long ago and couldn't get per-poly collision to work on them...and some had some real messed up edges. Had to break 'em up, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by haldolium View Post
                            just by the way, since I was already told wrong on this once here: UDK only supports 65535 vertices for import per mesh.
                            Since a few releases ago UDK now supports more then 65535 vertices

Comment

Originally posted by Tearl View Post
                              Correct Haldolium...though you can import more triangles than that, you loose certain abilities and the precision gets jacked up. We had some terrain pieces we imported long ago and couldn't get per-poly collision to work on them...and some had some real messed up edges. Had to break 'em up, lol.
                              I also got more to work (or rather to import), but it ended up in a lot of problems.

Originally posted by ankangronto View Post
                              Since a few releases ago UDK now supports more then 65535 vertices
                              Since when? Even the 2012/02 beta gives me the same error. So either this is *very* new or its not true.

Comment

Working...
                              X