Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Painful Months of Maya (Rate my progress!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extrusion isn't a bad thing as it keeps you meshes as quads, learning about uvw mapping will also improve your modelling as it gets you thinking where to put the seams as you model

Comment

[QUOTE=lunatorra;30171235] I mean, following directions just requires reading comprehension lol. [QUOTE]
      Ah, but that's part of the learning process! I wouldn't just pick up a guitar and try to learn it. I'd follow direction in a book that shows where to put my fingers. Then I'd do it over and over until I was good at it.
      That car you mention? make it again...and again. Once you get it down...do it some more!
      Someone once said: A Person does something over and over until they get it right. A Professional does until they can't get it wrong

Comment

I don't know why some people here are so critical. I've been using Maya for 14 years (since the first version) and these look pretty good model to me for 4 months of experience. Certainly better than some of the junks I've seen on Turbosquid. Keep it up.

Comment

So far looks pretty good if you've been learning by yourself. I would suggest you to go to forums like Game Artisans, Polycoutn and others and check models, renderings and wireframes.
          Check how other artist layed their polys and how they did their textures. You'll improve faster that way. Keep the good work and good luck!

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
            extrusion isn't a bad thing as it keeps you meshes as quads, learning about uvw mapping will also improve your modelling as it gets you thinking where to put the seams as you model
            Cool. Im juusssssstt about to tackle uv mapping. Been struggling to find resources for wrapping and unwrapping though.

Originally posted by FraktalZero View Post
            So far looks pretty good if you've been learning by yourself. I would suggest you to go to forums like Game Artisans, Polycoutn and others and check models, renderings and wireframes.
            Check how other artist layed their polys and how they did their textures. You'll improve faster that way. Keep the good work and good luck!

Cheers.
            Ah, just what i've needed. Going to check those forums out right nao.

Thanks for all the constructive feedback, all. It helps me keep my head on straight.

Comment

Check this page for UV mapping tutorials.

http://wiki.polycount.com/TextureCoo...Texturing\b%29

Also, in the Polycount WIKI you'll find a bunch of useful tutorials and links that will help you understand the base of 3D Modeling and texturing better.

Comment

Originally posted by lunatorra View Post
                Ah man lol. I'd rather it not take 3 years xD.

Don't worry. It's natural. It's not a linear process, you learn often enough for a specific problem and model and the next time you do that right but a new one may occur. That doesn't mean that you're unable to do great models in the meantime, it's just a constant learning experience IMO. Thats the great thing about it, even after years, you do have to think about what you do and (well sometimes of course) won't become a robot doing the same **** day after day. Don't take that 3 years too literal. Its imo the time after that you don't end up in the tools without having a clue and will always have some basic ideas how to solve appearing problems

Comment

Keep working, remember that the least amount of polys that still looks good is the best

Comment

Are you sure he/she is not just a troll? That lst pic looks like, well... a pic.

Comment

He was showing his reference photo so people could compare his modeling work to the source.

Comment

Dude when I started modeling, it took me four months to start reading a tutorial. You're sacrificing your free time doing this and that makes you awesome! Compared to me, you're so much better!! But I will not rate your stuff. Because it's not worth being rated atm.

Comment

Whoops lol. I figured this thread was dead so I actually moved a lot of the pics I posted to new locations on my website (which was the source). I'll put everything back up again as well as my new stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X