Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Painful Months of Maya (Rate my progress!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Painful Months of Maya (Rate my progress!)

After hours of pain and suffering, I finally feel like I'm making progress in 3D modeling.
    I'll post things in the order that I made them. Tell what you think.
    First two were made with the help of a book.

Pre-thanks

It's not the worst ever, but you should have better than that after 4 months.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      It's not the worst ever, but you should have better than that after 4 months.
      Doh. What are most people able to model after 4 months in?

Comment

Oh Darth, go easy on the guy (or girl). Really, it depends on wherre you are starting from and your artistic background/training. There's also the "time" variable in that equation. Are you spending a good amount of time EVERY DAY on your skills? Are you being instructed or just kinda figuring things out as you go?
        If you're in a class to learn this stuff, maybe you're behind the curve. If you are casually learning this stuff as you go, you're doing fine. Your progress is determined by your level of dedication. Also, don't discount any model that you do by going along with a book. That's one of the best ways to learn!
        That last one is hard to see due to bad lighting. But that's OK! Concentrate on your modeling of you want to be a modeler. If you want to work on scenes (composition and lighting) then use premade models and go from there.
        Don't give up! Keep pressing on and keep learning! I've been doing this stuff for MANY years and still learn something almost every time I open my programs of choice (we use Max in our studio).

Comment

Originally posted by Tearl View Post
          Oh Darth, go easy on the guy (or girl). Really, it depends on wherre you are starting from and your artistic background/training. There's also the "time" variable in that equation. Are you spending a good amount of time EVERY DAY on your skills? Are you being instructed or just kinda figuring things out as you go?
          If you're in a class to learn this stuff, maybe you're behind the curve. If you are casually learning this stuff as you go, you're doing fine. Your progress is determined by your level of dedication. Also, don't discount any model that you do by going along with a book. That's one of the best ways to learn!
          That last one is hard to see due to bad lighting. But that's OK! Concentrate on your modeling of you want to be a modeler. If you want to work on scenes (composition and lighting) then use premade models and go from there.
          Don't give up! Keep pressing on and keep learning! I've been doing this stuff for MANY years and still learn something almost every time I open my programs of choice (we use Max in our studio).
          Well ^_^ I do more video watching and book reading than I do actual modeling. I made all of those things (except the first two) in the last 2 weeks. Jan and Feb were spent casually plucking around in the program I guess. Was going through real life stuff.

So long story short: I'm attempting to self teach with books.

I don't think doing instructed projects really tests what you know. I mean, following directions just requires reading comprehension lol. While making the car today I was able to test what I knew and find out what I needed to work out.

lol its funny that you comment on the lighting though because this project was desired specifically to test my lighting ability!!!! Was the entire point lol, so I guess I failed. Been learning lighting techniques this week.

Comment

What you need to do is figure out a small project and figure out how to complete it. Like find something reasonable that you could model and then make it.

I also recommend doing some facial modeling tutorials, to learn about topology and modeling tools

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
              What you need to do is figure out a small project and figure out how to complete it. Like find something reasonable that you could model and then make it.

I also recommend doing some facial modeling tutorials, to learn about topology and modeling tools
              I dont understand lol.

Aren't I doing exactly what you suggest (with the exception of facial modeling)?
              The screenshots show small projects composed of things that I can model. They definitely aren't big projects. Are you unable to determine what I'm trying to model?

Comment

Originally posted by lunatorra View Post
                what I'm trying to model?
                if I have to guess i'll go with Hard surface.

Comment

Originally posted by juguefre View Post
                  if I have to guess i'll go with Hard surface.
                  Heh. Guess that would be the type.

Comment

while the model/meshes look nice, don't forget this forum UDK is for games and to me those look high poly and no uvw mapping, these are things you really need to learn for doing game content
                    so take your high poly models make then into low poly, uvw map them, texture them, and import them into UDK then show some pics

this will make you learn a lot about modelling trust me

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
                      while the model/meshes look nice, don't forget this forum UDK is for games and to me those look high poly and no uvw mapping, these are things you really need to learn for doing game content
                      so take your high poly models make then into low poly, uvw map them, texture them, and import them into UDK then show some pics

this will make you learn a lot about modelling trust me
                      lol i've done this. It's just not a pretty sight.
                      I figured I should learn how to get the results AT ALL first before trying to be cost efficient.
                      I'm beginning to learn how shapes are formed and what geometry is absolutely necessary.
                      But, here lol.

Comment

Do you have wireframes to show?

Getting the shape of an object is only one part of 3D modeling. The other, especially when it comes to characters, is polyflow. You do need that mostly for animation (already in Maya or any other 3D tools) but it is a good thing to build up your skill based on good polyflow, instead of learning it just afterwards with an already established personal workflow. Polyflow means quads only for a lot of reasons (selection, deformation) and that these quads should follow the natural form of the object.

Just from your shapes though I find it good enough for self-learned and a rather limited timespan (4 months may sound much to people, but it's really nothing when it comes to a lot of computer stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by haldolium View Post
                          Do you have wireframes to show?

Getting the shape of an object is only one part of 3D modeling. The other, especially when it comes to characters, is polyflow. You do need that mostly for animation (already in Maya or any other 3D tools) but it is a good thing to build up your skill based on good polyflow, instead of learning it just afterwards with an already established personal workflow. Polyflow means quads only for a lot of reasons (selection, deformation) and that these quads should follow the natural form of the object.

Just from your shapes though I find it good enough for self-learned and a rather limited timespan (4 months may sound much to people, but it's really nothing when it comes to a lot of computer stuff).
                          Yeah, lol my topology is poo, for the most part. I think i realize how important it is, but I feel like I'd just spontaneously explode if I tried to learn proper "polyflow" on top of all the other shizz. Would kinda rather just get to the end of the tunnel and not be perfect, instead of getting all frustrated and quitting somewhere along the way lol. It'll definitely be a priority once I'm where I need to be... but i actually think I'm learning as I go too.

As far as wireframe stuff, this is all I have... and it was converted from nurbs so... think its straightens stuff up automatically or something lol.... My nurbs model wasn't too terrible though.

I'll have to take some more screenshots later.

Comment

Doesn't look too bad actually. I've seen (and build myself even) worse. You sure do have a lot to learn, but I think you show good potential, keep it up. Mastering 3D modeling takes an enormous amount of time, thats just the way it is. Of course some learn faster as others, but in general it takes at least 3 years to become good.

Comment

Ah man lol. I'd rather it not take 3 years xD. I really could've done more in 4 months probably, I just wasn't consistent up until this month lol. Probably learned more this month than all the others combined.

Anyway, i went ahead and took some more screenshots lol. But its funny, i dont think these show anything either because i use extrusion modeling obsessively... And I dont really see how one can screw up extrusion topology.

Do you have any examples of like, good 3d models in wireframe, so I know what good is? lol. That 3 years thing is scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X