About Low Poly texturing and UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Low Poly texturing and UDK

I know that Low Poly baking requires a UV layout for the model which is how you hook up the diffuse, normal, AO, etc in UDK, but does that work the same way with a Low Poly mesh that is used in a bake? I guess what I'm unsure about is if the unwrapping I do in 3ds Max will transfer and if so how it will transfer to UDK because I most likely can or will have UVs spread out all over the place. For instance, if I'm saving texture space have multiple textures on one texture sheet for various models how do I go about ensuring that the parts I have UV mapped in 3ds Max connect the way they should in UDK? I can't create a UV template because my UVs will be spread out of the one UV space. Color me confused gents haha

How is your texture currently setup in 3ds Max? If you have say one diffuse material and it's not all in the 1x1 space it doesn't matter for your texture maps, but it will matter for the lightmaps.

Comment

I'm currently working on a low poly garbage can, but it dawned on me that I've never imported a textured low poly into UDK. I just recently started learning I've only textured a tree, brick wall, things that only really require the 1 diffuse so you're right that it wouldn't matter if the texture was stretched outside the 1x1 UV space. I'd just unwrap the low poly like usual, create a template, and texture like normal. But, if I wanted to save memory and combine a few textures for different assets how would I connect all of that correctly in UDK? I've only ever loaded the diffuse material, which was a textured UV layout, and connected it to the diffuse slot. I can't see how that would work if I had a 1024x1024 file divided into 4 quads, with 1 texture that had everything I needed to map complete crate, 1 texture that had everything to map a light pole, etc. There'd be conflicting textures within 1 texture, but I must be missing something.

Comment

You would have to make sure that all the models you want in one texture sheet are in the same scene in your 3D app before exporting them to UDK. Select all 4 of them together and space out their UVs into 4 equal sections of the UV space. Make sure to make the second UV channel for each one for lightmaps with no overlapping UV's, but for these (Since the obects will be separate) you can scale the UV's of each object individually to take up the entire 0-1 space.

So basically, one object will have its UV's (for the texture, not the light map) in just the top left quadrant of the 0-1 UV space if you select it, then another will have the UV's in the top right, etc. Select all the meshes at the same time and export the UV's of all 4 of them together to use as a template for your texture. Import them all into UDK separately and you should be able to create one material from your texture and apply it to all of the meshes.

Comment

Or, simply set up the correct material ID's using a Multi/Sub-Object Material and when you import into UDK, there will be the same number of material slots applying to the correct polygons.

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for the replies! Can you explain the Multi/Sub-Object Material rowan? I now how to apply it, but I thought it was always used just to make sure the naming conventions were different for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaserm2 View Post
              Sweet. Thanks for the replies! Can you explain the Multi/Sub-Object Material rowan? I now how to apply it, but I thought it was always used just to make sure the naming conventions were different for everything.
              That's more for a single mesh with more than one texture on it. For example, if you apply a blue material in your 3D app to 3 faces of a cube, and a red material to the other 3 faces, that cube will have 2 slots for materials in UDK once you import it.

This CAN be done with multiple objects, but when to use it depends on a lot of factors. Say you have a car, a street pole, and a fire hydrant you modeled, each one with their own materials on them. You COULD combine them into one object in your 3D app then export to UDK and just use the 3 material slots UDK gives you, but All of those meshes would need their lightmap UVs laid out together, without over lapping each other, in the 0-1 space. So if you can imagine scaling down all your UVs for those 3 objects and cramming them into a square area together, you can see that the lightmap resolution for all of those objects would be much lower than if they were separate objects, causing you to have to bump the resolution up in UDK to a high number to get good results.

Also, not to mention that you lose any ability to freely place each object independently around your map if you combine them and use multiple material slots instead.

There's a trade off to each I guess. Putting everything one texture sheet lowers the resolution for your diffuse textures, and using separate materials for each one and combining them gives you fairly lower resolution light maps. Just go with whatever option feels better to you (and looks better to you) and make sure to keep the performance in mind.

Comment

Working...
              X