A question about LOD Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about LOD Bias

Ive been looking throuh the ready textures that came with udk and i see that it says imported 2048x2048 and max in-game 1024x1024 but the lodbias is set to 0.How do they do it?I have a few 2048x2048 textures for my models imported and the only way to have them in-game 1024x1024 is seting the lodbias to 1.(ore resizinig in photoshop but that is not the question).

And another smow question.What is better?To have most of my textures imported in as 2k and use lodbias of 1 and that way i use 683kb in game per texture ore resize the textures to 1024 in photoshop and have them as 1.33kb in game?Obviously the 683k sounds better and i did a few tests and they seem to look exactly the same but in terms of quality/optimization what is really best?

Thank you for you help

Originally posted by majic12 View Post
    Ive been looking throuh the ready textures that came with udk and i see that it says imported 2048x2048 and max in-game 1024x1024 but the lodbias is set to 0.How do they do it?I have a few 2048x2048 textures for my models imported and the only way to have them in-game 1024x1024 is seting the lodbias to 1.(ore resizinig in photoshop but that is not the question).
    Those textures might have a different LODGroup setting perhaps?

And another smow question.What is better?To have most of my textures imported in as 2k and use lodbias of 1 and that way i use 683kb in game per texture ore resize the textures to 1024 in photoshop and have them as 1.33kb in game?Obviously the 683k sounds better and i did a few tests and they seem to look exactly the same but in terms of quality/optimization what is really best?
    A 1024²px RGB 24bit texture will always have 683kb (DXT1 compression), if yours have 1.33MB (DXT5 compression) you accidently saved it as a 32bit texture with an (empty) alpha channel.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply.About the first question my only guess shoud be since they are textures that came from the old unreal 3 editor i guess they do have some lodbias but it doesnt show in the editor so i guess is coded somewhere else.Still interested in khnowing xd.

About the second one i saved my textures as png that dont have alpha but after reimporting the image a few times it did say 683kb.It maybe a refres thing.I will test it all day.Where can i change the compression manually from dxt5 to dxt1?

Sow about the lodbias.Is it ok if i have lodbias for everyone of my textures ore does it have some smow impact if every texture is resized in unreal and not in photoshop?

Thanks again.

Comment

About the second one i saved my textures as png that dont have alpha but after reimporting the image a few times it did say 683kb.It maybe a refres thing.I will test it all day.Where can i change the compression manually from dxt5 to dxt1?
        If you import a texture there is checkbox called "Compression No Alpha" - this can also be changed later on in the texture properties. If you save your files as .tga in ps you can choose between 24 and 32bit btw.

Not sure about the lod bias textures, apart from increasing package sizes and the fact that you might want to improve your texture in ps after resizing - but then again the udk also offer some options like sharpened mipmaps for example.

Comment

Working...
        X